PDA

View Full Version : Still Booming

Mason Malmuth
09-09-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi Everyone:

We hit a new milestone in the last 24 hours. It was the first time we ever had more than 4,000 posts in a 24 hour period as we hit 4,017.

We are also approaching 15,000 registered members and are adding on average over 50 a day. But the best part is that the vigor and quality of our discussions is just terrific.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Best wishes,
Mason

Chris Daddy Cool
09-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Hey Mason,

you ever worry that the popularity of this site may clog the board and some voices may get lost over the mass influx of new members and multitude of posts?

Chris

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 07:23 AM
This is actually a legitimate concern, especially on the Small Stakes forum, but others as well, where experienced posters will often respond to each other, but not to new players, even if the latter post more interesting hands than the former.

I will grant that new players don't often post more interesting hands than the experienced posters, though.

-Michael

Duke
09-09-2004, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was the first time we ever had more than 4,000 posts in a 24 hour period as we hit 4,017.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to say day, or did you say what you meant? The latter implies that you're actually tracking this sort of thing and I think that's interesting. If you just ran counts based on the day stamps you'd get "day" counts, but you wouldn't get the "24 hour period" number.

[ QUOTE ]
We are also approaching 15,000 registered members and are adding on average over 50 a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do my best to continue to incite people to create accounts just to call me an [censored].

~D

TobDog
09-09-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you ever worry that the popularity of this site may clog the board and some voices may get lost over the mass influx of new members and multitude of posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and what will happen when everyone has carpel/tunnel status?

Dan Mezick
09-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Everything hinges on leadership. You 2+2 guys know how to lead.

Zeno
09-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Again, congradulations to all at 2+2 for a quality run poker forum. The results speak for themselves.

-Zeno

Ed Miller
09-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Did you mean to say day, or did you say what you meant? The latter implies that you're actually tracking this sort of thing and I think that's interesting.

I'm pretty sure the forum software tracks this, so it's a real 24 hour period number.

Ikke
09-09-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the best part is that the vigor and quality of our discussions is just terrific.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. IMO this forum is collapsing under it's own success. I see a lot less posts that are IMO worth reading and in the rare situation that a good discussion follows, it is often burried under a mass of new posts.

I'm still waiting for Ray Zee to answer to the 88-post ;-)

Regards

Thythe
09-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Did it help that we devoted a topic to the "millionth post" and probably put in a good 50 or so there?

Inthacup
09-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Just because you wrote a 2+2 book doesn't mean you can play 2+2 webmaster as well.

Cup

Zeno
09-09-2004, 03:04 PM
This is partly true but is to be expected - the old saw about 'growth pains' comes to mind.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still waiting for Ray Zee to answer to the 88-post

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I but I doubt a 'set answer' is the answer. Besides, Mr. Zee is probably painting his barn or off fishing or hiking etc.

-Zeno

Ed Miller
09-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Just because you wrote a 2+2 book doesn't mean you can play 2+2 webmaster as well.

Oof.

BarronVangorToth
09-09-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oof.

[/ QUOTE ]

He told you.

Now please go write another book before I have reread your other for the 10th time.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

daryn
09-09-2004, 04:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
We are also approaching 15,000 registered members and are adding on average over 50 a day

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but out of those 50, 45 are thomastem clones

Homer
09-09-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We hit a new milestone in the last 24 hours. It was the first time we ever had more than 4,000 posts in a 24 hour period as we hit 4,017.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I didn't even make a single post. Amazing!

uuDevil
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to everyone for their support.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome. However, I'm starting to suspect this is not entirely voluntary. Are you adding some kind of addictive subliminal content to these pages?

I am not getting enough work done.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

J_V
09-09-2004, 05:53 PM
<font color="red"> </font> [ QUOTE ]
But the best part is that the vigor and quality of our discussions is just terrific.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply not the true. In fact, almost none of the 2+2 old timers that I talk to seem to share this opinion.
While the discussion maybe full of vigor, the accuracy and attention to detail of the posts has deteriotated dramatically. And for players that have achieved a fair amount of success in poker, 2+2 as a learning tool has become nearly useless. While there is still some good information posted, it's buried beneath pounds and pounds of garbage.

2+2 was once part of my daily routine, and I'm a few weeks away from deleting it from my favorites list.

Sundevils21
09-09-2004, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We are also approaching 15,000 registered members and are adding on average over 50 a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how many of the 50 a day are really new players looking to become better. Hopefully its not too many of them /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I like helping out and I certainly appricate the help I have been given but I don't want TOO many new people coming here.
How many new fish does party(insert online site) gain every day? Most likely the quality of play is going down, rather than up, right? I sure hope so.

Al_Capone_Junior
09-09-2004, 07:41 PM
I still think we need a poobah forum. One where you must get voted in by other poobahs to avoid people making many stupid posts just to jack up their numbers.

Other than that, more power to ya.

al

Ikke
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So am I but I doubt a 'set answer' is the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but Zee didn't say anything but his opinion. His argument why is still missing.

BTW...it's cool that he's off fishing etc. I'm about to do the same. I'm done with this forum.

Regards

P.S. JV put it way better than I did. His post is exactly what I meant.

andyfox
09-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Congratulations, and thanks to you for the forums.

mike l.
09-09-2004, 11:23 PM
JV always comes off as harsh but he does have a point. there are too many mediocre still-learning players littering the medium stakes page with their very simple minded non-theory based adviced. one of them is mike l. and he's not even the worst offender.

Turning Stone Pro
09-09-2004, 11:46 PM
nm

theBruiser500
09-10-2004, 12:06 AM
yeah, thakns for the fourms

Mason Malmuth
09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi Duke:

In our administrative software, one of the statistics which I look at is the number of posts in the last 24 hours. It is always instantaneously updated.

Best wishes,
mason

GuyOnTilt
09-10-2004, 01:01 AM
good riddance

STFU.

GoT

J_V
09-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Do I always come off harsh? And Mike L, Your posts are great. I'd kill for a few more Mike L. posts and a few less TeddyKGB84 posts. Someone says that you are rocking the upper limits at Commerce. Congrats, and keep it up.

As an aside, if I were Mason, I would go the payday route as well (as if there's any other option. But from a purely esoteric poker learning perspective, the forum is disintegrating rapidly.

Oh, I guess I just said that in the last post.

turnipmonster
09-10-2004, 01:27 AM
I think the mid-high PL/NL is a big exception to this.

but people that play at the level that j_v and ikke do can't find much interesting in the mid-high limit forum I'm sure. I think that's somewhat to be expected, the player base for higher games is limited and you can't expect everyone who plays in them to just sit around outlining their strategies.

I certainly wish y'all would stick around for my own learning and benefit, but I can understand the frustration. sometimes I think the most interesting discussions on here are of a fairly general nature, rather than specific hands.

--turnipmonster

1800GAMBLER
09-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Here's why: Party 15/30.

On a serious note: You old timers have mastered the game so much that there is nothing for you do discuss i know i always search out an Ikke, Ray Zee etc post. Yet us knew batch really don't do a good job of setting the forum straight (by that i mean the 15/30 posts) we just let the bad advice slide. Myself, Nate, gnoroes, GoT have up very early, probably because the games are so easy to beat now so we don't have to argue very close decisions.

Banning good posters like vehn for stupid [censored] doesn't help. Vehn was a good example of a poster who is printing money for people and for that you should lower the rules, yes baised. No one here is going to get offended, so none of us care, if the advertisers on 2+2 care then eff this forum /images/graemlins/frown.gif So there really is no excuse for it.

spamuell
09-10-2004, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I still think we need a poobah forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this has always been a joke but I do think it's a good idea, especially with having to be voted in by other posters. It would encourage people (like me) to post more well thought out posts more often so that they could aspire to becoming part of the "lounge".

I suppose it would be a little impractical though because we couldn't really ask everyone to have 1600 posts as some of the best posters on this site don't (e.g. Louie Landale comes to mind). And if anyone could be voted in regardless of numbers of posts, it would likely turn into a silly popularity contest.

Another pro of a pooh-bah forum would be that RGP would hate it so much.

Turning Stone Pro
09-10-2004, 09:20 AM
"Myself, Nate, gnoroes, GoT have up very early, probably because the games are so easy to beat now so we don't have to argue very close decisions".

Still, it's worthwhile IMO to discuss close decisions and analyze them. This is how we learn. Its with the exchange of ideas and consideration of other people's points of view that true learning and development occurs.

Anyone who takes the position that there is not at least something to be learned from, e.g., spirited dispute with regard to an online hand, is an ignorant person. For example, through one of my posts you might (and probably will) find real weakness, which can be used to defeat people who play like I do. There is always something to be learned from below-average players like myself.

If the people like JV and others feel they are too good and too knowledgeale to have to sort through the influx of new posts that Mason refers to, then I dont know what to tell them. Go sit in a closed room and study by yourselves, I guess.

TSP

Al_Capone_Junior
09-10-2004, 12:14 PM
If you don't have the posts, you can't get in, regardless of whether you are a good or bad poster. Obviously Louie would be instantly voted in as soon as he reaches poobah status, tho people like Landale don't rush to make posts just to reach some particular status*. However, most of those who HAVE reached poobah or higher are very good posters. The vote would of course be somewhat based on popularity, but most of those who are already poobahs or higher would realize that content was the key, not popularity, and vote accordingly. There are a couple posters I know of whom I don't particularly like personally (no names mentioned) but whom I would vote in anyway because their posts have high quality content (which is what matters, not my like/dislike of them).

And if it pissed off RGP**, more power to ya!

al

* LL has been posting here for a LOT longer than his # of posts suggests, he was here when I first started posting, and I started here in 1997, long before the current format existed.

** for those who don't know, RGP = raucous.goons.poker

scotnt73
09-10-2004, 01:22 PM
the status of the titles means nothing to me personally. however it does suck when a new poster asks a question and gets answered by a pooh bah who doesnt know much about poker and takes his advise over a very bright veteran or journeyman. the titles give people with quantity more powerful responses to the new people over people with quality. after awhile you know whose full of crap and whos not. when i was new i foolishly thought all pooh bahs and up were very good players. i now know this not to be true because im about to be one /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ThaSaltCracka
09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when i was new i foolishly thought all pooh bahs and up were very good players. i now know this not to be true because im about to be one

[/ QUOTE ] very true, I mean look at me.... how do you think I got so high? OT forum baby!!!

andyfox
09-10-2004, 01:57 PM
4,000 posts in 24 hours. If, in the old days, there were, say, 500, and 5% of them were worthwhile, you'd only have to wade through 475 non-worthwhile posts. Now, if 10% of them are worthwhile, that means you have to wade through 3,600 non-worthwhile ones. (2+2 has improved my math skils. /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

A natural progression.

pokerjo22
09-10-2004, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> </font> [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply not the true. In fact, almost none of the 2+2 old timers that I talk to seem to share this opinion.
While the discussion maybe full of vigor, the accuracy and attention to detail of the posts has deteriotated dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, I'm so glad we can have a discussion about whether our discussions are full of qualtiy and vigour /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
09-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Mason,

How about a hat or a tee shirt to your first 10 members /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MicroBob
09-10-2004, 10:58 PM
I think that the discussion about whether our discussions are full of quality and vigor is, in fact, full of quality and vigor.

I think we should now have a discussion full of quality and vigor about this discussion that is full of quality and vigor about whether our discussions are full of quality and vigor.

Duke
09-10-2004, 11:42 PM
How about the first 109 members?

I thought that this number was only after the switch to this new forum software. I wonder how high up the first guy who never saw the old site is registered?

#450 maybe? Or, is it number 8?

~D

Mason Malmuth
09-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi Mike:

We have actually kicked around the idea of Two Plus Two logo wear, but haven't done anything as yet.

Best wishes,
Mason

Duke
09-11-2004, 02:53 AM
It's all about trading cards.

"I'll give you a mike l and 2 elysiums for the Erostratus misprint with the background lolita!"

~D

kyro
09-11-2004, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's all about trading cards.

"I'll give you a mike l and 2 elysiums for the Erostratus misprint with the background lolita!"

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

As cliched as this line is...Post of the day.

SpicyF
09-11-2004, 08:13 AM
How 'bout a hug Mason?

SpicyF
09-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I love you Jo

scalf
09-11-2004, 11:13 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif just rejmember, mason, the term scalfie is proprietery..

lol

gl

other poker forums are giving out free shirts after 25 posts..lol

gl

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Mason Malmuth
09-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi Scalf:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Our formula was and is expert advice. I think we'll just stick to that.

Best wishes,
Mason

J_V
09-11-2004, 09:31 PM
I hope Ikke stays around just so I don't have to walk up to every greek poker player I meet and ask "are you Ikke?" Otherwise, I might not ever have a venue to talk poker w/ him again, which would be very sad.

Ikke
09-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Heh...I was kinda drunk and pissed off when I wrote that, so don't worry. I'll be around. Sredni just reinforced the feeling that I should stay with the excellent thread called "Collusive Entanglement". If you haven't read it I suggest you do.

I'm still planning to meet you in Vegas next year as well. So stop harassing those Greeks. I'm not even Greek. ;-)

Regards

Blarg
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, and what will happen when everyone has carpel/tunnel status?

[/ QUOTE ]

Carpal tunnel...er...status?

Suddenly I feel much better about myself!

Blarg
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the discussion maybe full of vigor, the accuracy and attention to detail of the posts has deteriotated dramatically. And for players that have achieved a fair amount of success in poker, 2+2 as a learning tool has become nearly useless. While there is still some good information posted, it's buried beneath pounds and pounds of garbage.

2+2 was once part of my daily routine, and I'm a few weeks away from deleting it from my favorites list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheer volume does that to a site.

But I also notice fewer and fewer of some names I used to see more often posting. The lack of good posts, and comments on the posts of others, by the old crowd is making any decline in the forums they see become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think it becomes harder for the good posts to be seen when they are there, and harder to feel a sense of community sometimes. It used to be that if you saw a good post you could come back over the course of a day or two or three and see how it progressed. It was like a community event, and sometimes learning experience, that it was interesting to see unfold. Now you see a post in the morning and by the time you get home at night to see it again it is literally buried 7 pages back behind other posts, many of little value. And because it got shoved to the back of the line so fast by new posts, there's often little comment or useful response on it. I wonder when it's going to get to the point that just doing a search on the names of favorite posters will be more productive.

The format of 2+2 badly needs a change, too, to make it more user-friendly and time-efficient. Almost every forum I go to has a better layout than this one in that you can see many topics per page. Ten topics per page means having to do what I mentioned before -- go through seven pages sometimes to see a topic posted just this morning! That's way, way silly. And it absolutely devours a user's time. Not good. Not good at all. What if you want to look over five or six forums a day? Six forums times seven pages deep each day is 42 refreshes before even opening a single topic thread up. Ugh!

GrannyMae
09-12-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Scalf:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

sooooo cheap

Best Wishes,

Granny

GrannyMae
09-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Almost every forum I go to has a better layout than this one in that you can see many topics per page.

can't you change this to as many as you want? i think mine is set to 50.

astroglide
09-12-2004, 06:02 PM
that's exactly why i haven't even looked at this site in like a week and i'm BARELY skimming topics right now

Blarg
09-12-2004, 07:40 PM
True enough, and thanks for the tip. I usually just leave everything on default on most boards, but I set mine higher now too.

GrannyMae
09-12-2004, 08:40 PM
here is another tip

choose "greenday" sheet from the drop down on the second option from top at:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/editdisplay.php?Cat=

it is amazingly easy on the eyes.

Lawrence Ng
09-13-2004, 07:12 AM
Who is making stupid posts? Who?

Oh the irony... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

astroglide
09-13-2004, 11:08 AM
i prefer the 'infopop2' theme. i've also made things better by setting my prefs to only show 1 day's worth of posts.

GrannyMae
09-13-2004, 11:57 AM
i prefer the 'infopop2' theme. i've also made things better by setting my prefs to only show 1 day's worth of posts.

egads. i never saw that. it is a white background. that's what gets my eyes tired. for me, the light green does not burn my retinas as much. also, with your style, there is a certain banner on the right that becomes almost invisible against that blue background. it is NOT my banner, so i actually encourage people to use astroglide's skin selection.

woo

btw, having only 1 day on first screen used to be good choice. too many good posts will slip off. i've got mine set for 2 days.

George Rice
09-13-2004, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember winning a few books here several years back. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mason Malmuth
09-14-2004, 06:36 PM
How about a Granny Mae autographed soiled nightgown.

Best wishes,
Mason

scalf
09-14-2004, 06:44 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif..scalf sez..

it is better to have a high quality, good info, money maker forum..with no perks..

than an el cheepo with perks..

keep the high quality of info here..

i said long ago you should charde..

and 2+2 would be a bargain..

gl

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

GrannyMae
09-14-2004, 06:50 PM
How about a Granny Mae autographed soiled nightgown.

take one from your stash.

you don't think i notice every time one comes up missing??
collections like that are not healthy.

Best Wishes,

Granny

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/suction.gif