PDA

View Full Version : Should a late position drawing hand fold to miniraise?

GlemZurg
09-09-2004, 02:10 AM
Say you have A6s in late position and someone in early position opens for 2xBB. I've seen some advice on this forum that you should fold.

Since you are just hoping for the 10% chance of flopping a nut flush draw, what difference does it make to call a miniraise or a limper?

Can someone fill me in?

Thanks,
Justin

fimbulwinter
09-09-2004, 02:23 AM
the bet (so long as its small) doesnt matter. the key is having position on a lot of people with any drawing/implied odds hand. with the exception of a PP, which is a draw to a set, but virtually impossible to see, the key to playing Axs and indeed any suited/connected/etc. is having position and having a lot of other people in front of you who you can double through.

so...

if it goes
UTG raises to 2xBB, all fold to you, fold for sure.

if it goes
UTG raises to 2xBB, call, call, call, call, to you, you call for sure.

people tend to overvalue nut flushes (cos they draw is a higher % and they can't be confiscated) and undervalue straights (which are harder for a new player to see when they hit). a good rule which will keep you out of trouble is three callers in from of a minraise is ok, any less and you probably wont get the odds to play such a hand.

fim

PS- oh yeah, with Axs don't be a dolt and get attached to your hand if you flop the ace. if you flop the ace and the flush draw or two pair, then fire away.

GlemZurg
09-09-2004, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a good rule which will keep you out of trouble is three callers in from of a minraise is ok,

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same for limpers? 3 limpers would make it worth playing? Or 4 limpers (one to take the place of the miniraiser)?

Justin

fimbulwinter
09-09-2004, 04:07 AM
the minraise is irrelevant. so long as there is a lot of money in the limping/calling stacks in front of you and the price isn't too high to see a flop, call. if the raise is more than a minraise and the money isnt deep, fold. if the raise is 4xBB and each person has 500BB stacks, call for sure. just make sure there is money in front of you (the other players' money) when you limp/call with a suited ace in NL.

fim

Ghazban
09-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I agree completely with fimbulwinter. I like when people minraise in no-limit as they charge me the absolute minimum to find out they have a good (to them, anyway) hand. With a hand like A6s and an EP minraiser, its so easy to get away when an ace flops (because minraisers often have a big unsuited ace) and so easy to bust the minraiser when you make 2 pair or better. Unless the stack of either you or the raiser is very short (thereby hurting your implied odds), the rest of then hand plays almost exactly as if the raiser had limped except that you have valuable information (i.e. that he likes his hand) about him and he has none about you.