PDA

View Full Version : River call with 2:1 odds?

GlemZurg
09-09-2004, 02:02 AM
People were sitting out which made the game short handed (which I don't have experience with). So I played 88 a little bolder than normal (maybe the incorrect thing to do).

After no-one bet I figured either someone was slow playing or everyone missed the flop.

The final pot-sized bet on the river give me 2:1 pot odds. I figured I would need to win one in three times to call.

Does that reasoning sound right?

Any input on a better way to play this hand appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed)

Button ($17.10)
SB ($12.90)
BB ($9.90)
GlemZurg ($9.20)
MP ($1.73)

Preflop: GlemZurg is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.05.
GlemZurg calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.35) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, GlemZurg checks, MP checks.

Turn: ($0.35) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">GlemZurg bets $0.35</font>, MP folds, BB calls $0.35.

River: ($1.05) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $0.8</font>, <font color="red">GlemZurg ???</font>.

SlyAK
09-09-2004, 02:28 AM
I think you have to fold here, you are behind any Jack, any ace, any 4, and the numerous 2-pair combos. When he called your bet on the turn, I would say you are beaten.

Yes, you are getting about 2:1 on a call, but you wont be good here often enough to justify calling.

Sly

GlemZurg
09-09-2004, 03:17 AM
Thanks. That helps.
Justin

kayaker
09-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I agree w/ Sly. His call (as opposed to a raise) on the turn tells me he likely has one of three hands: A with low kicker, Jx or 4x. The size of his bet on the river (2/3 pot) tells me he THINKS he's good, but he's not sure. You can fold or raise, but definitely do not call there.

If you raise, I'd say make it about 3x the pot. If he's got the 4, he'll call, but the A+low kicker and the Jx will both be in the same position you are in now - thinking you likely have the worst hand, but not sure. Given that he's already shown some weakness, I think he'll fold.

aLittleFish
09-09-2004, 02:06 PM
The way this hand played out, the bet on the river has to be from a 4. I think if he had any other of the hands that has 8-8 beat than he would have checked, as the river card scares him as well. The underbet of the pot seems like he wants to make sure he gets something out of the hand. If I had a 4 I'd be afraid the other person would just check behind, while if I didn't, I wouldn't want to bet out and then get raised and not be able to call for a showdown. Atleast by checking it to the hero without a 4, he'd be able to call a similar bet and see a showdown.

Forgot to mention, though i'm sure it could have been gathered, I'd fold to the bet on the river. I hope you show how things turned out.

GlemZurg
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
I called on the river. I should have folded though. I was thinking "weakness" when there were a lot of ways I was beaten--as have been pointed out.

The final hand he had was 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Thanks for the advice all,
Justin