PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6: 99 vs. a LAG preflop raiser...

chesspain
09-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

I hadn't been at the table for very long, but I had a note on MP2 which reminded me that in a prior hand he had openraised with KTo from MP and had bet on every street unimproved on an AJxxxx board against two, early position checkcallers.

Preflop: chesspain is BB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $3.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, chesspain calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
chesspain checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, chesspain calls.

River: (12.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, chesspain calls.

I'll post the results in the morning.

ErrantNight
09-09-2004, 02:06 AM
looks like you got beat... but by what? i'll go out on a limb and say he had either the A of hearts, or an A and a 10+ heart that he caught for the overpair on the river...

but you aren't looking for my hand read, so:

raise this preflop... against a loose raiser you've probably got the best hand, and if possible you'd like to thin the competition (getting the poster to fold to two bets). raise for value and to protect your hand

chesspain
09-09-2004, 02:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
raise this preflop... against a loose raiser you've probably got the best hand, and if possible you'd like to thin the competition (getting the poster to fold to two bets). raise for value and to protect your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

...even though I'll be out of position for the rest of the hand vs. a PF raiser and two coldcallers? Just so that I can try to get a poster to fold?

daveymck
09-09-2004, 05:26 AM
I think this is fine, your note on him suggests he is prepared to bluff but last time he was bluffing into those who had shown no agression.

His turn raise he may be bluffing the flush but it raises alarm bells to me so I dont think I can three bet the turn.

Check call it down update your notes for the next time.

Festus22
09-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Looks fine to me perhaps to the point of routine.

Is there any one street that's specifically troubling?

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 07:22 AM
I would bet the flop and hope either MP1 wakes up with an 8 or the LAG raises. I want the last two players to be confronted with two bets, because I expect them to call a lot on this flop, and I don't want them around on the turn with such a vulnerable holding.

-Michael

chesspain
09-09-2004, 07:46 AM
LAG showed Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and MHIG.

Luv2DriveTT
09-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Am I the only one that three best the turn here? Villan is representing a high pocket pair, he probably does not have the heart flush. Your pocket nines are a 4:1 (did I do my math correct?) underdog against him if he has a higher pocket pair but if you represent the flush its worth the gamble to tray to get him to lay the hand down.

Show some aggression dammit! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif 3-bet the turn!

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

sthief09
09-09-2004, 10:51 AM
...even though I'll be out of position for the rest of the hand vs. a PF raiser and two coldcallers?

yes

Just so that I can try to get a poster to fold?

no, because you probably have the best hand

sthief09
09-09-2004, 10:52 AM
3-bet preflop, bet into him on the flop, 3-bet him on the flop, then bet the turn and river.

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Go to class.

-Michael

sthief09
09-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm hungover and I have class in 5 minutes /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Michael Davis
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Congrats, hungover on a Thursday morning.

-Michael

MoreWineII
09-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Better than hungover on a Tuesday morning.

Trix
09-09-2004, 11:38 AM
I agree exept that the river should be a check as this dude will raise an ace and sometimes maybe a bluff. He also will bet a hopeless hand, like K-high if checked to when the Ace hits.

spamuell
09-09-2004, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Congrats, hungover on a Thursday morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better than drunk on a Thursday morning.

sthief09
09-09-2004, 11:50 AM
better than drunk on a Tuesday morning

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif wi-fi

brick
09-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Can you play poker from class?

pudley4
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that three best the turn here? Villan is representing a high pocket pair, he probably does not have the heart flush. Your pocket nines are a 4:1 (did I do my math correct?) underdog against him if he has a higher pocket pair but if you represent the flush its worth the gamble to tray to get him to lay the hand down.

Show some aggression dammit! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif 3-bet the turn!

TT in da club /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If hero is up against a higher pocket pair, he's 22-1 against hitting on the river to win.

LAGs don't care if you "represent the flush" - they won't lay down the hand (especially a bigger pair), and may reraise to "represent a bigger flush" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That said, a 3bet on the turn is good, since it's very likely the LAG has a hand like a high heart + a pair