PDA

View Full Version : Typical hands that I wonder how I should play

pfkaok
09-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Just A few that came up today... I didn't really know what to do for sure on any of them, what does anyone think??

Hand 1:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed)

Hero ($65.64)
BB ($49)
UTG ($136.87)
UTG+1 ($62.56)
MP1 ($91)
MP2 ($46.56)
MP3 ($23)
CO ($97.35)
Button ($38)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $12</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $7.

Flop: ($26) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $46

Hand 2:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

BB ($33.68)
UTG ($74.05)
UTG+1 ($42.92)
UTG+2 ($39.80)
MP1 ($56.05)
MP2 ($67.90)
MP3 ($28)
Hero ($48.50)
Button ($68.10)
SB ($111.30)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to $11</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls $5.

Flop: ($25) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $45

Hand 3:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($163.34)
UTG+1 ($52.06)
UTG+2 ($26.13)
MP1 ($77.92)
MP2 ($48.50)
MP3 ($90.53)
CO ($35.50)
Hero ($77.80)
SB ($43.85)
BB ($45)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $3</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls $7.

Flop: ($21.50) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, MP1 calls $11.

Turn: ($43.50) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($45.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $50.50

Hand 1 the limp reraise really makes me think big hand, and the fact that it was a small one makes me think AA, b/c I figure with KK people almost always go big, or allin. I felt that laying down PF was a little weak since I had position, thoughts?

Hand 2, the min-reraise scares me, but at this point I figure I could stack him if i hit the set, and he might just have overs, so I could take it on a ragged flop. Figured that even if I was ahead on the flop I was still an underdog if he had overs and flush draw, but most likely he had a big pair. Plus with just the A he'd also have the gutshot draw.

Hand 3: don't know exactly what this guy was thinking with $1 on turn, I thought he had me, but looking back he coulda had AQs and bet the turn to try to look like a trap and make me not raise. Thats about the only hand that he'd raise, then call my flop bet that I could beat, (maybe 10's or 9's), so should I have called the min-bet on the river? It really seemed like he was begging for a call, but with those odds if he's even occassionally doing that as a bluff I'm really losing big /images/graemlins/frown.gif

fimbulwinter
09-09-2004, 02:27 AM
Hand 1:

Ciaffone says and many lost buyins would agree, that AK is not a powerhouse in NL as you dont want to back your stack with TPTK. limp in the SB unless you dont think anyone will call your raise. you have a tricky hand in awful position, dont fall in love.
you fold was good.

Hand 2:

Good preflop play which allowed you to make a good postflop play. he's got a PP bigger than yours and you got away because of your PFR, which many people would not make. pat yourself on the back.

Hand 3:

no offense intended, but this is a terrible fold. he was drawing and missed 90% of the time, then he trys a sissy river bluff and you didn't snap it off. call here every time.

fim

fim

pfkaok
09-09-2004, 04:39 AM
OK, thanks...thats sort of what I felt playing that QQ hand, and at the time I honestly don't think I remembered to check how big the pot was before making the fold. And now looking back over the hand I really feel stupid for not having called, missing out on the chance to win a buyin getting 10-1 odds. How big of a bet do you think I could be calling in this situation with +EV?

As for the AK hand, should I pretty much never raise out of the blinds? Or if there's only 1 limper? I normally raise 10's and J's in the blinds also, but are those also hands that do best to limp from the blinds?

BTW, I've been trying the big-raise from EP with AA and KK lately with good results at Party $50...seems to make it much easier to double up, as AK or AQ will almost always commit their whole stack when they hit TPTK. Then of course at Party you sometimes get the AK who just can't let go and calls the allin with the overcard draw, which is really nice when you got AA. I know that you said that AA and KK are the only ones you wanna go big PF from EP, but should I even be raising at all with AK or QQ? Or should AK be a limping hand in EP for the same reasons that I should limp with it from SB?

Skjonne
09-09-2004, 04:50 AM
My thoughts:

1) Fine raise. I'd fold to the reraise
2) I'm not with Mr. Fimbul here. TT is to me too small a pair. I consider it a drawing hand and therefore I mostly limp. If you get callers, you could be in trouble against any over card on the flop. The fold on the flop is fine
3) I would definitely raise that weird turn bet of his. And I would not in this life fold on the river when I get 10:1 on a call

fimbulwinter
09-09-2004, 05:09 AM
The thing to remember here, which will answer all of your questions, is that position is often more important than hole cards.

even though I have a kind of crazy rep here at the forum and on the table, i'm a big pansy with hands like QQ, JJ and AK UTG and in SB. if i have a hard time squeezing 5-10xBB with AA/KK UTG, i can tell you that QQ and JJ will be even worse. I play them like a small pocket pair, but you can play QQ like a big hand if you want, just make sure you're willing to be super disciplined. as for the SB, i hate it. like i said, AK is good for stealing, tournaments and very short stacked NL. raising out of the SB means that you've got AA/KK/AK to the whole table, so they'll fold their AJ and let you hang yourself on TPTK or win a very small pot. stealing out of the blinds is fine, especially with a tight table image, but make sure you have a very good chance of winning right there, cos you're royally screwed position-wise after the flop.

as for calling the river bet, i'd call 10 bucks, not much more. this is really a player dependant decision...how often do you think he'd bluff? this is a question that you must evaluate your pot odds and player reads to make.

fim

PS- to butcher "improve your poker" bob tells us that AK is called "big slick" by tourney players cos it's a great tournament hand. it's called "the road back to Houston" by cash game players for a reason.