PDA

View Full Version : Funny conversation about the cashout curse with my losing friend

Sponger15SB
09-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Friend (9:26:51 PM): so i cash out and then lose the last 200 with 5 all ins, all where i was/should ahve been on top
Friend (9:27:02 PM): raised preflop and a guy beat me with a 35
Sponger15aa (9:27:47 PM): so how much are you down playing online in SB? (I only asked this cause he is a losing player, yet refuses to believe that or change his game)
Friend (9:28:08 PM): cash out curse is definetly real...these hands were set up so that it would seem like i was winning, and its not just cause i after i cash out it seems that way cause i usually only play with 200 and never lose it like that
Friend (9:28:14 PM): im up
Friend (9:28:19 PM): maybe like 100
Friend (9:28:31 PM): i cashed out 300 and lost the last 200 in like 2 minutes

---

is there anything i can say to this guy to make him believe the cash out curse doesn't exist?

uw_madtown
09-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Wasn't there a discussion once that the cash-out curse might have something to it? Basically saying that since many players (especially below-average ones) cash-out after a big rush, it's not that surprising that they would then come crashing back down?

I mean, I realize that there's nothing that says a break-even player has to lose $300 to put him back to even after going on a $300 rush and cashing that out. He could possibly keep winning, or break-even for awhile before finally whittling back down. But still, it seems to make sense to me that the kind of players that would believe in a cash-out curse are the same ones more likely to experience a downward swing after a rare big winning streak.

- UW

Thythe
09-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Yeah I agree with this. Those that would believe in a cashout curse are those that are most likely to lose in the long run. Losing after a cashout then is just the norm, but they don't see it that way.

Sponger15SB
09-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Sponger15aa (9:40:07 PM): hey just a question, why would a poker site want you to lose your money after you cash out? like if some random player started with $100, worked it up to $500, and then cashed out $400, why would they like "flip a switch" and cause him to lose, wouldn't that just discourage him into buying back in if he didn't have that much money in his account? wouldn't they want everyone to come as close to breaking even as possible, so your money would last longer and you'd pay more rake
Friend (9:58:34 PM): no...because gurantee more people rebuy after a win/then loss than just quit
Friend (9:58:39 PM): its gambling, its addicting
Sponger15aa (9:58:53 PM): umm, sure

Oski
09-09-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Friend (9:26:51 PM): so i cash out and then lose the last 200 with 5 all ins, all where i was/should ahve been on top
Friend (9:27:02 PM): raised preflop and a guy beat me with a 35
Sponger15aa (9:27:47 PM): so how much are you down playing online in SB? (I only asked this cause he is a losing player, yet refuses to believe that or change his game)
Friend (9:28:08 PM): cash out curse is definetly real...these hands were set up so that it would seem like i was winning, and its not just cause i after i cash out it seems that way cause i usually only play with 200 and never lose it like that
Friend (9:28:14 PM): im up
Friend (9:28:19 PM): maybe like 100
Friend (9:28:31 PM): i cashed out 300 and lost the last 200 in like 2 minutes

---

is there anything i can say to this guy to make him believe the cash out curse doesn't exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since there seems to be a lot of humor critics on this board (Including Sponger) I will throw in my two cents: I did not find any part of this conversation funny even though it was advertised as such.

Sponger15SB
09-09-2004, 02:35 AM
You are right, I should have said "interesting" or at best "amusing" conversation or at worst "meet my friend, the degenerate gambler"...

Burno
09-09-2004, 03:07 AM
I don't see the point in trying to get this guy to realize he is a losing player. If he is a dear friend or someone you really care about then I can understand. The "cashout curse" is just a form of rationalization fish use to save themselves from the conclusion that they suck at poker.

The fact that online poker, unlike B&M, forces you to keep track of your wins and losses means that fish have had to come up with all sorts of explanations for their lack of success. So let's allow them to continue to believing in cashout curses and super Bots so that they don't ever, ever realize the awful truth.

NLSoldier
09-09-2004, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that online poker, unlike B&M, forces you to keep track of your wins and losses means that fish have had to come up with all sorts of explanations for their lack of success. So let's allow them to continue to believing in cashout curses and super Bots so that they don't ever, ever realize the awful truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point burno.

Sponger15SB
09-21-2004, 07:41 PM
bump to tell you guys some more stuff...

He now not only says something fishy is going on in internet poker, but now B&M is rigged (sort of).

He claims that dealers are rigging the deck to setup other dealers with good hands. He said last night a dealer 3 bet on the turn with nothing but a flush draw against 2 players at $4/8 like he just "knew" the flush was coming.

He also claimed that a dealer threw out a "look" at him before he had time to act preflop, so he called with 52s and hit a flush. He tells me that he is tipping a lot more and now as a result the dealers are giving him better cards.

Yeknom58
09-21-2004, 08:01 PM
"he is tipping a lot more and now as a result the dealers are giving him better cards. "

Woa, woa, woa, stop the boat, this isn't true! Every dealer I know says this is true.

There is nothing you can do to convince your friend. That being said I would play at his table as much as possible.