PDA

View Full Version : 5000 Hand Checkup @ .50/1

uw_madtown
09-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks to all for the help over the last few days. I signed up at Empire with an affiliate and deposited a $200 bankroll, intending to start the limit-grind, as I think my best opportunity to make any significant money in poker is playing limit online (say, someday multi-tabling 3/6). Five days, 5000 hands -- I want to push to get to 20k hands by the end of the month so that I feel confident in both my bankroll and my statistics before moving up to 1/2. Furthermore, I'm 4-tabling so I don't have to get used to that pace later, although I'll likely drop to 2-tables when I do move up to a higher limit.

I've lightly read TOP, HEFAP, and SSH -- and I'm currently rereading both TOP and SSH more indepth. So when I started this, I'm not a complete noob. I do have a LOT to learn, but felt very confident that I could dive in and at least break-even multi-tabling.

Stats @ .50/1 (September 3 - September 8)
-----------------------------------------
Total Hands: 5023
True Hours Played: 25.55
Amount Won: $379.46 (not including $40 bonus and any rake I get back)
BB/100 Hands: 7.55
True BB/HR: 14.85

VP$IP: 17.18%
VP$ISB: 41.83%
Saw Flop All Hands: 24.73%
Attempt to Steal Blinds: 21.68%
Won $ When Saw Flop: 29.15%
Went to Showdown: 32.21%
Won $ at Showdown: 55.5%
Raised Pre-flop: 9.14%
Folded to River Bet: 54.27

Aggression Factor
-----------------
Pre-flop: .91
Flop: 3.34
Turn: 4.06
River: 2.65
Total: 1.96
Total (excluding PF numbers): 3.25

When Folds Hand
----------------
Pre-flop: 75.01%
Flop: 8.84%
Turn: 3.30%
River: 1.83%
No Fold: 11.01%

Threads I've Posted With Hand Histories For Review
--------------------------------------------------
Some Pocket Pairs Hands (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1005162&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#1005162)
Calling Station or Correctly Played? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1004925&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#1004925)
As Norman Chad calls it, "Naked Aggression" (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1002374&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#1002374)
What the hell are you calling me with? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=999629&page=1&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#999629)
Some hands for review... (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=994449&page=2&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#994449)

I ran very well for my first 2000 hands, and pretty well the last 1000 too. My BB/100 shot as high as 13 and since has only dipped to 6 before going back up to 7.55. I'm sure these numbers are inflated quite a bit -- I'm running well. But I think that it's fair to believe I'm at least a winning player -- just probably not one that will continue to win 7.5 BB/100 4-tabling at Party .50/1. Given how much I have yet to learn (and it's a lot), I'm sure that rate will drop over the rest of the month as I approach 10, 15, 20k or more hands.

Any comments on my numbers, or on the linked hand threads, is greatly appreciated. I realize this is a small sample, but it's a nice milestone to have made in 5 days. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

- UW

SomethingClever
09-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Looks good so far. Don't go crazy when the inevitable downslide occurs.

Complete less from the SB.

uw_madtown
09-09-2004, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks good so far. Don't go crazy when the inevitable downslide occurs.

Complete less from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my most easy-to-spot leaks. My VP$ISB was at 45% through 2000 hands, so I've been trying to really make sure to control myself in the SB. Playing less unsuited gappers, calling fewer raises with suited hands... for some reason I get really attached to that half-bet... but I'm aware of it and trying to make sure to tighten up.

As long as I don't fall too hard, I'm not worried about the downswing. I'd have to drop back to my $200 buy-in before I started getting worried about this whole thing, and that's one hell of a slide. Or, conversely, means I've been on one hell of a rush -- which is true... today I had AA twice in a row, and another time 3 hands later -- on the SAME TABLE... that table hated me a lot.

- UW

KingSix
09-09-2004, 03:33 AM
Your sample size is still small, so before you go trying to get any specific metric into a "magic number" range, use PT to break it down.

If you feel that you are calling too much in the SB, use the position stats window to see exactly what you are calling with in that position. Often, you can easily see where the mistakes are.

With 5,000 hands, you probably have about 560-620 hands in the SB and it is real easily to have a couple hands you've had 8 or 9 times, while having zero of others. This can easily cause the number to be off quite a bit.

King

Yerma
09-09-2004, 04:45 AM
Hi uw_madtown,

I read through your stats, which look ok to me.

But I read through your hands and thought "this player will get killed at any higher limits". You will be approximately break-even at 1-2 on Party. I would guess you will make, in the long run, 3BB/100 at 0.5-1.

Why do I say these terrible things about you? Judging by your posts, I would say that you are making a lot of "little" strategic errors in your play.

uw_madtown
09-09-2004, 05:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi uw_madtown,

I read through your stats, which look ok to me.

But I read through your hands and thought "this player will get killed at any higher limits". You will be approximately break-even at 1-2 on Party. I would guess you will make, in the long run, 3BB/100 at 0.5-1.

Why do I say these terrible things about you? Judging by your posts, I would say that you are making a lot of "little" strategic errors in your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd like to think that may be partially attributed to "small sample size" -- I'm picking hands where I feel there are problems, because I know there are problems to be found, many of them, I'm sure. I'm not posting hands where I did well (although some of them have been evaluated as correctly played).

But not to be defensive. I've been seriously playing limit for 5 DAYS and 5000 hands, so I'm sure there are a lot of leaks that can be plugged. That's why I'm posting hands! If you think such things to yourself, then respond and tell me what my mistakes are. Each day in the last 3 days I've taken home major lessons that have improved my play in certain ways. I'm sure I could do that for a long, long time and still have plenty to learn, but I'm trying.

- UW

Chris Daddy Cool
09-09-2004, 06:09 AM
i think it's really cool that you included some links to posts of your hands with your stat check-up. I hadn't seen that before. You guys should do that.

uw_madtown
09-09-2004, 08:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's really cool that you included some links to posts of your hands with your stat check-up. I hadn't seen that before. You guys should do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I was hoping it would generate more discussion of those hands, either in their own threads or in this one, but it hasn't.

Probably will post more hands late today, got about 400 in this morning while I couldn't sleep.

- UW

KingSix
09-09-2004, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been seriously playing limit for 5 DAYS and 5000 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes the sample size even more important. You probably won't have a great indication until you get to about 25k, at the least. You've got a good start and it looks like you are working to improve your game. That puts you ahead of about 99.8% of the Party .50/1 and 1/2 crowd.

King