PDA

View Full Version : All in with the overpair

Tosh
09-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Is this reckless? No reads here...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($314)
<font color="C00000">BB ($160.10)</font>
UTG ($181.55)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($216.45)</font>
<font color="C00000">MP1 ($32.45)</font>
MP2 ($326.65)
CO ($157.25)
Button ($196.10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, MP1 calls $25, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls $23, UTG calls $17.

Flop: ($101) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $191.45</font>.

AZK
09-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Not at all, I don't see anything wrong with this, sucks if one of them called that huge preflop raise with a pocket pair that hit, but you'd like to end this hand NOW. I think the 191 raise says it. How's the play at pokerstars?

Tosh
09-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Given him betting into me I felt more like AQ/JT than a set.

aLittleFish
09-09-2004, 01:26 AM
I think I'd have played it only slightly different. I would have raised to $30+ preflop to try and further cut down the implied odds of pocket pairs. With 4 callers the people you're playing with are really really loose or you didn't charge them enough to see the flop. Once to the flop, no A so everything looks good. Only beat by Q-Q, A-A, 9-9, and 6-6. A-A isn't that probable without a re-re-raise preflop but pocket pairs are probable holdings for the pre-flop callers. Hopefully he has A-Q or K-Q here but I wouldn't think it was likely. I think you have to move in but I don't think I'd want a call. Also its not really overbetting the pot since no one who can call has enough to match you.

The underbet on the flop by the BB looks like a bet that wants to be raised, but I can't see laying it down. Tough one to take if you got outflopped.

Skjonne
09-09-2004, 05:14 AM
I play it the same way, Thanks to all the preflop callers, the pot is already huge enough. BB's strange 1/3ofthepot-bet, I don't get. But hey, I don't care. I will not be able to lay this hand down anyway, so might as well get it overwith now

fimbulwinter
09-09-2004, 05:20 AM
its ironic, but each player had odds (there was far more than 500 behind all the opposing stacks at the table) to play a small PP and bust you, since there were two callers. pop KK hard preflop, i'd make it 40, to let them know that now is decision time, not after the flop. the massive raise is ok on the flop because of the size of the pot, but i'd have probably min-raised and folded to an insta-push but pushed the turn if he called.

Chris Daddy Cool
09-09-2004, 05:28 AM
his flop bet looks like a feeler AQ bet. QQ is not at all unlikely. He might not have wanted to raise this pf after two raises in already, though QQ might want to checkraise or slowplay in this spot.

The flop push is okay because you're likely to have to put in your money anways as you figure the turn and river bets will increase in size, might as well put your money in now when you think you have the best hand.

If the stacks were slightly deeper, I definitely would not push, but do a min-type raise and fold to a re-push. If he calls, take charge on the turn by either risking value betting or just pushing right there.

nazbrok
09-09-2004, 06:08 AM
to me you are beat on this hand.
the BB cold called a reraise of $25 which was a big reraise. I don't see him calling your raise with AQ but only a PP. knowing you must be on KK or AA his flop bet looks like a set to me. He know you will reraise pretty big the flop with your overpair and so want to have a shot at your whole stack. I say BB has QQ or 99 on this hand.
People who cold call big raise preflop and bet into you on the flop usually mean a monster. I would have reraise the flop to $45 more and fold if he push.

Tosh
09-09-2004, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
his flop bet looks like a feeler AQ bet. QQ is not at all unlikely. He might not have wanted to raise this pf after two raises in already, though QQ might want to checkraise or slowplay in this spot.

The flop push is okay because you're likely to have to put in your money anways as you figure the turn and river bets will increase in size, might as well put your money in now when you think you have the best hand.

If the stacks were slightly deeper, I definitely would not push, but do a min-type raise and fold to a re-push. If he calls, take charge on the turn by either risking value betting or just pushing right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same Chris, annoyingly he did have QQ though.