PDA

View Full Version : how tight can you play?

11-14-2001, 03:18 PM
This is a simple question with maybe a complicated answer.

Given the frequency of hands such as pocket A`s K`s and Q`s

and AKs, how tight can your hand selection be before the blinds eat you up?

D.

11-14-2001, 04:30 PM
I suspect you are wondering if you couldn't get down to some bare-minimum risk and still lock in some bare-minimum profit without any uncertainty - and at the same minimize how much you have to think and therefore your risk of getting outplayed.

But of course the only way you can beat the blinds is because suited connectors have positive value in certain situations, and therefore when you call people don't know whether you're high or suited. Of course you just want to call AA and KK. But you use all that other stuff to subsidize and camouflage and try to break even in the meantime.

LeRoy

11-14-2001, 04:50 PM
Is there an equivalent of a basic stratagy in HE.

Of the many books I have read, most authors have their own ideas.

As a new player, playing low limit loose games I use the following.

Early AA-1010 AKs-KQs AK-AQ

Middle AA-88 AKs-J10s AK-KQ AXs

LATE AA-22 AKs-78s AK-J10 AXs

Obviously this depends on opposition and how many are in the pot

at the time of the call/raise.

I have found that AXs plays well in multi-way loose games

as you are fairly sure you are drawing to the nuts while many

play with any two suited cards.

Comments?

D.

11-14-2001, 06:06 PM
Play looser. Especially pocket pairs 99-77 and AJs, ATs up front. With lots of callers you have good implied odds to flop a set with any pair (similar to how you like Axs), etc. JTs up front isn't a bad idea in these games either. AJo, ATo, and KJo can be played in the middle. The reason for not playing these hands is usually fear of domination. When you are playing low-limit, any ace or suited king will do holdem, you will be the dominator much more than the dominated. The reason you fold AJo up front at the Bellagio 30-60 or something is because other people are not playing worse hands. If 4 people see the flop, it is likely you have the second or third best hand. In a loose game, however, having the second best hand preflop is profitable because you are now 2/7 or 3/9, usually +EV, and you probably play better than your opponents postflop. Playing more marginal hands will increase your variance, but I think you need the extra EV to beat the game since the rake is so significant at low limits. Just learn to get away from pair-weak-kicker on the flop and you'll be fine. If the game is wild, passive, etc..., you need to adjust your starting hands, but for the average LL game I think your list is too small.

11-14-2001, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, its great to just talk poker.

I tend to have my best wins at passive games where most players

arnt betting unless they have a good hand and not raising unless

they have a nut hand.

I agree with your point about dominating, actually it gets me

in trouble in really loose games. a real weakness of mine.

I am playing A9s in middle to late, miss the flush but catch an ace. (not good)

As you said people will easilly play A2o as they will AKo

In a tough game with a multi-way i would have no problems letting

it go.

Is there a rule of thumb when playing AXs?

D.