PDA

View Full Version : need some review on Ax

wuwei
09-08-2004, 10:16 PM
A couple hands tonight that I'm not sure I like how I played. Been running bad the past few days, I know my confidence isn't very high right now. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I used to muck these types of hands from pretty much any position. Been completing my blinds more with Ax lately, and taking chances on raising A9o when it feels right. Hand 1 seems a bit foolish to me, looking back on it. But once the turn came, I couldn't put anyone on 2 pair, so I should stick with things and hope my kicker issues were taken care by the flop. I thought about a made straight from MP3, but I just didn't buy that.

Felt like in hand 2, I could buy the button with a raise and play it hard if an ace flops. If the flop misses and I'm bet into, I fold. If its checked to me and no ace flops, I bet or check depending upon look of things. Playing aggressively with A9o has turned it into a profitable hand for (.34BB/hand) through 56 hands. Sample is small, of course.

Hand 1

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

River: (15 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB

Hand 2:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

uuDevil
09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....I know my confidence isn't very high right now....

I used to muck these types of hands from pretty much any position. Been completing my blinds more with Ax lately, and taking chances on raising A9o when it feels right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just some general thoughts:

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Experimenting is fine, but you're bound to find yourself in tricky post-flop situations with these hands.

/images/graemlins/diamond.gif If your confidence is low this is probably not the time to play marginal hands.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif These are -EV from all positions in the pokerroom stats and aren't recommended by Ed Miller in SSH. I have stopped playing them and don't miss them.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Hand 1: Raise the flop. Seeing as how you didn't though, this was the perfect position to check-raise the turn, even if it is a 3-bet. You're hand looks great, you hit what you wanted to so go after the pot.

Hand 2: Not sure I would've raised this pre-flop, but since you did the raise on the flop was good. Considering this guy limped in at first, and called the raise it's hard to put him on a pocket pair over 9's, but I guess 22 and 33 could be out there. This is probably a case of seeing monsters though, my guess would be K9s. Maybe you could've capped the flop and then just called down if he kept betting into you.

afk
09-09-2004, 12:17 AM
I fold both of these preflop. I'd probably call A9o if I were in the SB.