PDA

View Full Version : Terrible or Good, push with 88

citanul
09-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Playing the stars afternoon rebuy today:
I've got ~50k, average is about triple that.
Blinds are at 6k/12k with a something like 300 chip ante, I don't recall the ante exactly, it's pretty irrelevant though.

There are 21 players left, I'm the 20th stack, although a double up at this point would put me in about 11th or 12th. There are a couple of stacks within 1 set of blinds of me, and one small stack at about 25k. The money bumps up again for 18th place, $100, from the $130 it is at this point.

Having just paid the blinds at one table, I get moved to UTG at another. It's 7 handed, and the only player I'd been at a table with already is the BB, who has 250k or so, and as far as I could tell, plays well. The player to my left is the small stack.

On my first hand, I get 88, and push.

Is this the right thing to do here? I figure that a) if I let the blinds go by me, There's not much of a chance that 3 players bust before I get blinded out, b) I clearly can't limp c) 7 handed if called I'm likely at least a small favorite, considering the range of hands that other people with large stacks could call with, and d) this is my only possible chance to steal the blinds, as if they pass me, I won't have enough to put any pressure on the blinds.

Am I misguided with thinking that once I let the 18k pass my in blinds I'm just giving up? Should I let them go and then find some other hand hopefully in position?

All hindsight of course. Results oriented people, see below sig.

citanul

<font color="white"> Small stack instantly called, folded to the bb who instantly called. SS 99, BB AA, 99 sucked out and hit a set, I did not. </font>

betgo
09-08-2004, 09:59 PM
You are about to be practically blinded out. This is probably a positive expected value play. You have to push and hope you don't get called by a higher pair. This is a play you remember when it doesn't work.

MLG
09-08-2004, 10:02 PM
the push is right, but it isn't positive EV (at least I don't think), its just less negative EV then waiting is, which makes it the right play.

betgo
09-08-2004, 10:09 PM
There is a good chance you pick up the blinds or get called by two overcards where you have a slight advantage and pot odds.

MLG
09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
oh i don't disagree with that, and although when you are behind you are far behind, and you are almost never far ahead. That weights it badly for you. Still, you have to make the play.

ron dogg
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
You very much need to double up. Moving up 30 bucks I would think is unimportant. The odds are in your favor that no one has a higher pair behind you. I think you almost need a call here and take your chances to double up. Usually, I feel its best to think "final table or bust".

That is all,
R-

RinseLathrRepeat
09-08-2004, 10:59 PM
Is there a way to play this that indicates strength rather than "please let me steal the blinds"? Does 30K UTG appear play off as a trap and possibly get fewer calls? What about two betting the blinds--although I think that's a bit weak. One can certainly argue that it's better to put the chips in yourself than have someone come over the top and call. And he certainly doesn't want multiple callers. I'm just wondering if a skillful player would be able to finess something to indicate more strength than desperation here.

Small stack all-ins represent a certain level of strength combined with desperation to me. This is why an AA hidden under a small stack all-in sometimes gets paid off very well. But when I see a small stack make a strong bet that is not all-in, or possibly limp when limping appears to be inappropriate for his position, this sometimes smells like a trap. First, am I right in smelling some odd small stack behavior as a trap? And second, could a crafty player exploit this to indicated more strength in a situation like this?

RinseLathrRepeat
09-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Good advice Ron--"final table or bust"

citanul
09-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Although the same sentiment applies I'm sure, the move up was 100, not 30. It was from 130 to 230, or whatever the exact numbers were.

citanul

Synth
09-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Definite push Citanul, you got a made hand with pocket 8's and only 4 BB's left.

- Synth