PDA

View Full Version : A botched blind steal gone horribly right?

Entity
09-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Villain is habitually overaggressive once he's in a pot, and has shown down some bad hands outside of the blinds (T7o, etc.). Not much known about him otherwise.

I'd appreciate preflop advice on this hand as well, as I'm not sure if it's strong enough to attempt a steal (I've only recently begun trying to steal blinds).

How far do I take this on the river, fearing T9o or, god forbid, T4o? MUBS?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I was prepared to fold the turn UI to another bet, but I didn't have to in this case. I only called that last SB so the uberaggressive wouldn't push me around too much in the future, as he had been trying to do every hand I'd been in against him so far.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Weak? Cap the river?

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

brettbrettr
09-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Yes, weak. Cap the river.

Snoogins47
09-08-2004, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is habitually overaggressive once he's in a pot, and has shown down some bad hands outside of the blinds (T7o, etc.). Not much known about him otherwise.

I'd appreciate preflop advice on this hand as well, as I'm not sure if it's strong enough to attempt a steal (I've only recently begun trying to steal blinds).

How far do I take this on the river, fearing T9o or, god forbid, T4o? MUBS?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

I was prepared to fold the turn UI to another bet, but I didn't have to in this case. I only called that last SB so the uberaggressive wouldn't push me around too much in the future, as he had been trying to do every hand I'd been in against him so far.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Weak? Cap the river?

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of all that is holy, please cap that river. Overaggressive player vs. what looks to be an obvious blind steal.. Maybe I suck, but from your read and the "battle of the blinds" situation, he'd probably threebet with ANY ten. Maybe any 9 as well. Most low pocket pairs even.

The fact that he didn't slow down on the turn scares me a bit, granted. But I think you're ahead more often than not, so suck it up and cap the river.

You're gonna run into a bigger boat here, often, I will not deny that. But especially given the read here, I would be more than willing to put in another bet on the river.

Entity
09-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Ok, I don't know what the hell was wrong with me. Cap the river. I get that now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about raising from the button in this situation? Is 33 strong enough HU or against 2 opponents to try to steal with?

Rob

Quercus
09-08-2004, 07:12 PM
My understanding is that any hand strong enough to play normally preflop is strong enough to steal with.