PDA

View Full Version : O-8 adjustments - 5 cards

11-11-2001, 05:04 PM
Will be playing a game where as I understand you are dealt 5 instead of 4 hole cards. They call the game "Omaha hi/lo split, 8 or better" there, but perhaps the name is used a little loosely...

Anyhow, how should I adjust standard O-8 strategy? I assume the nuts will hit more often, and the table should be 8-10 players. Therefore, my best guess is to play tighter... but how much? If I use a 10-25-40-50 count then how much higher would the numbers be? Hmm, probably can't even use a standard count because of the 5th card.

11-11-2001, 08:28 PM
"the table should be 8-10 players"

if there are 10 people playing 5 card omaha 8 it should make for a very interesting game as there wont be enough cards left to deal the flop!

11-11-2001, 10:35 PM
Very cute, Mike. OK, so we'll assume a full or nearly full table of <=9 players... then what?

11-11-2001, 10:36 PM
Tex - I don't know the answer to your quuestion. Maybe it depends on how tightly you are already playing the four card game.

With four cards there are six possible two card combinations. With five cards there are ten possible two card combinations. Thus the nuts might be about 10/6 times more likely in the five card game than in the four card game.

As Mike has already indicated, cards will probably will only be dealt to 9 players or less. With 10 players, someone would presumably have a forced sit-out each deal.

Buzz

11-12-2001, 09:09 AM
If there is multi-way action you should play MUCH tighter than in a normal four-card Omaha game if that is possible. Almost no hands without an ace and multiple draws to potential nuts are playable up front. Behind limpers realize that second nut low draws are almost worthless. This means it is OK to play a hand such as A34K7 suited to the ace but a deuce must flop to draw to the low. A45K7 is much worse since it is so hard to get both a 2 and a 3 to flop.

In essence, if regular Omaha is a "nuts" game, then this game is "nuts squared".

Regards,

Rick

11-12-2001, 11:10 AM
Thx for the responses, all. Looks like the game went "from soup to nuts." Will report results in a few days.

Strategy will be draw to the nut lows only, continue post-flop with extreme strength in high and/or nut low. Punish with reraises pre-flop with the low end of the wheel in the pocket.