PDA

View Full Version : Don't piss off the live one.

11-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Lot's to be said to validate that thought. I always try to be nice, even entertaining to them to some degree. But Thursday I blew it. Playing HE @ Binions in vegas while on my last nite of "road trip". 2 loose gooses in game. Either will bet if you don't at any time. And they'll bet to the river.

I raise UTG with AKs pre-flop. 3 callers including both LG's.

Flop: AA6 two tone.

I bet the flop. Only the LG's call.

Turn: Q

I check, LG#1 bets, #2 folds, I check-raise. She calls me down to the river, my AK good of course.

One hand later she's gone, 3 hands later he's gone. That's when I leave. Thinking "damn" I shoulda never check-raised'em. I knew better. I'm guessing this cost me a rack in future profit during this game. The immediate gain was only 6-12 chips. Not smart. No more fancy moves against live ones.

11-11-2001, 12:16 PM
If these guys were really "live," your behavior should have prompted them to bet even more.

Chances are, one or both would have left anyway, and your post would have been titled "strike hammer while iron is hot."

Besides, you have to assume even if you don't play them, someone else will, so you might as well be the one.

Double besides, I love it when loosies try to buckle down and change gears. They are such an easy read and, soon enough, they can't help themselves, they are loose again. You see these guys trying to slow down or lay down, you bluff them once and show it, they can't stand the idea they would lay down the winner.

That fear, above all else, is what gets them.

El-Roi

11-11-2001, 04:14 PM
I agree there are situations, especially in low-limit games, where you are better off not check-raising because it might drive off a live one or get him or her to play better poker against you. This may or may not have been one of those situations - hard to say without having seen other hands being played.

11-11-2001, 09:35 PM
I play with quite a few live ones and unless I am 100% sure something like a ckrz will run them off I find that I can make the same agressive moves as always I just add some chatter to go with it and all it well.

This works for me anyway since my table image is conflicting...I play a rockish/tight/agressive game while talking 90 mph and laughing it up with "oh my gosh am I rz'n? Can you believe it?"

It works for me and the live one eat it up.

Lance

11-12-2001, 01:41 AM
Who else was at the table with you? The last time I played at Binions one guy was talking about his time in the methadone program and the sexual preferences of a particular female dealer in graphic terms, and another guy was showing off a beautiful 23 year old therapeutic plaything his high rolling ways had procured. The other conversation at the table wasn't exactly about what time the Lance Burton show started. This table was the class act of the joint. No missing teeth or soiled smelly clothing or anything. None of the guys whose only meal of the day is the comp buffet. Unlike some of the Binions regulars, I think all the guys in the game owned a car. (maybe not Mr. Methadone.) Not the atmosphere that live ones relish. I think a heads-up checkraise might have been lost in the shuffle depending on what was going on. Gotta love Binions. /images/smile.gif