PDA

View Full Version : 1st PL HE experience

11-10-2001, 07:13 PM
On my 8 day road trip to Vegas I played this past Thurs nite 1-2 blinds $50 buy-in pot limit hold-em at Binions. It was perfect for me as I had never played pot limit before. 6 players in the game when I get there. All had between 150-250 in chips. I buy $80 for my first try. I watched game for 15 minutes prior to sitting down. Hardly ever a raise pre-flop. 5 players for 2 bucks mostly. They are allowing pre-flop raise to 10.00 then regular pot limit. about 50% of pots go 3 handed. 2 obvious tourists(I later find out from UK), 2 regulars, 1 kid about 22-23, 1 unknown, probably tourist.

I muck first 2 hands, then limp with QJs utg. 4 players limp.

Flop: Ad, 10d, 6c

everyone checks.

Turn: Ks

Pefect. I check, Button bets pot. one caller, I say "pot-it".

Button (the kid)pauses for a long time, calls, other guy mucks.

River: rag Diamond(can't remember)

Well I only have 38 or so left so I put them in. I have to call so and he's pot committed if he doesnt have diamonds. He calls I win.

1 round later I limp with QQ. Flop is 10 high, checked to button, (the kid) he bets 10.00, I pot it and bet $27.00 on the turn, he calls, we check river queens good.

1 round later I open raise to 10 with KK. Kid says I got nothin cuz I raised. this time I pot-it on the flop, turn, river, and take big pot when I show trip kings. One of the regulars thought I had little too and just flat called with jacks to the river.

I played about 4 hours till the game broke when I busted one guy from england, and the kid got busted by a regular. Missed a few hands, but never got hurt in any pots. 2 regulars got hurt. The other englishman won 400. I spoke to him alot. Seems he plays nothin but PL tournaments in UK.

Seems this type game is better for trapping and occasional "pot-bluffing" when the image and board is right. Of course I stayed pretty cautious, playing pretty premium hands once I had that stack. Not wanting to risk getting trapped with alot of chips.