PDA

View Full Version : Slow Playing AA or KK

JAG
09-08-2004, 02:50 PM
I understand the reasoning behind raising KK or AA to not allow weak hands to limp in and win with a weak starting hand. When I raise late or check raise early, I usually win a small or decent sized pot, but rarely break somebody (unless they are holding large pairs). When I slow play, I sometimes lose the pot (and am more willing to give it up when a straight or flush draw is out there) but often break my opponent when he flops the high pair. Especially in online tourneys, where the blinds move up relatively quickly, I find it better to slow play these high pairs for the huge upside rather than take the small pot without risking the hand. Is my logic flawed?

Benal
09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is my logic flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

The only time I'd slowplay AA or KK is UTG, hoping for a chance to reraise.

eMarkM
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
I like to slow play AA/KK from LP. MP raises and I cold call on the button. If we both have large stacks, the better, I may be able to trap him for all his chips. Sure, I'm letting in the blinds cheaper and MP may catch a monster he would have let go preflop had I reraised, but you have to take risks sometimes to get those extra chips. But I'll only cold call like this if I think it will be HU or a three handed pot at most and then only occasionally. If there are a bunch of limpers, then you have to lay a pot sized raise out and play fast.

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Problem with AA/KK and any pocket pair is that the chances of it improving to better than a single pair is very small. It is absolutely horrible to play that hand against several limpers.

Late in a tourney though at a full table I would slowplay AA/KK every single time UTG because the chance of someone raising preflop is huge not to mention going all in to steal.