PDA

View Full Version : help! what are pot odds.. and how do I calculate them??

brikol
09-08-2004, 01:54 PM
I have heard mentioned many times.. pot odds, actual odds, implied odds, etc... but haven't been able to find a clear cut explanation of exactly what they are and how to calculate them? I understand it has to do with the odds of winning a hand vrs the size of the pot... to determine if the risk of playing is worth the investment in chips called for. But how exactly do I calculate that? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! <font color="blue"> </font>

SpiderMnkE
09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Invest in a poker book. It will explain this and much more.

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 02:40 PM
It is the amount of money in the pot divided into what the bet was INCLUDING the bet. For instance, there is $150 in the pot and your opponent bets $50 which makes it $200 total in the pot. Divide $200 by $50 and it gives you 4-1 odds on your money. It gives you the correct odds to call the bet if you are 4-1 to improve your hand or better such as like a flush or open ended straight draw.

Its why most good poker players get pissed when they get sucked out on a player calling a draw with horrible pot odds. Example, I had TPTK on a flush draw board with $40 into the pot. I bet the pot size which was $40 so he was getting 2-1 odds, he called. Next card blank, checked to me. I overbet the pot by $20 to make it $150 to ensure he was getting horrid odds if he wanted to call. Obviously the idiot calls and makes the flush on the river.

brikol
09-08-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks danstjohn that makes alot of sense. I have read books.. like Doyle's Super System, and Winning Texas Hold'em by Slansky.. and they mentioned it, but didn't really elaborate. Appreciate it!

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 02:58 PM
No problem. Its pretty simple once you start applying it all of the time. There are also implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc.. Which are more complex and require pretty good thinking and overall just practice using them to get comfortable.

A great book is Texas Hold'em for Advanced Players which explains these concepts in the first couple chapters of the book.

SpiderMnkE
09-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Are you talking about Hold'Em Poker For Advanced Players aka HEPFAP

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Ya thats the one.

brikol
09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
OK. so if I understand this correctly.. I only need to calculate pot odds when I fear that I have the weaker hand.. such as a draw.. correct? If I am confident that I have the stronger hand, then I don't need to worry about the pot odds? Or do I also calculate vrs possible draws when holding a hand such as high pair, or two pair? Or do I calculate any time I am facing a raise?

Chairman Wood
09-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Probably the best explanation of pot odds and implied odds is in The Theory of Poker. HEFAP if I remember correctly touches on it but may assume that you know much about it already. I do think I remember a few good points about implied odds but I may be mistaken. If a visit to the bookstore isn't in your future check out http://www.pokertips.org/strategy/drawing.php
It does an ok job of explaining it.

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 05:05 PM
You should be aware of pot odds at all times really when you are in the hand. If you believe you are holding the best hand and someone is drawing to make a better hand should they hit their draw then make them have bad pot odds to continue by betting big.