PDA

View Full Version : Sets keep beating me

revots33
09-08-2004, 01:44 PM
I'm getting knocked out way too often by calling all in bets with my top 2 pair against what turns out ot be a set. I'm in a quandry about what to do in these situations. Frequently this happens fairly late when a lot of blind stealing is going on - so it's difficult to put my opponent on a pocket pair when they raise.

In a poker book by Silberstang he says something like, "Holdem is a hard game to play if you're always worried about an opponent holding a set". In other words, bet the top 2 pair if you're lucky enough to get them. My question is, are there exceptions to this rule in tournament play? When would you consider folding top 2 pair in a tournament?

Bernas
09-08-2004, 01:49 PM
A couple of places where I might consider folding the top 2 pair is if it also makes a straight or a flush on the board.
I think against sets you are going to have a hard time unless you can really put your opponent on a hand.

SossMan
09-08-2004, 02:18 PM
It depends on stack depth. The deeper the stacks, the easier I can fold top 2. It would have to be a really strong set of circumstances for me to fold top 2, though. I'm not sure I've actually ever done it on a flop that wasn't all one suit.