PDA

View Full Version : thanks all for the nyc tips

M2d
09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Not sure where the recommendations for the places we went to came from (could have been my mom's friend, could have been here, could have been divine inspiration, etc), but we had a blast.
first day, we got in at 5 (saturday morning), caught the E line to our hotel to drop off bags, and promptly discovered that the city does not wake up until around noon. found a little chinese place for won ton soup in chinatown after discovering that a lot of places we wanted to hit were closed for the long weekend (Noho star being the one in particular this time). great cheap chinese food that was even beter quality than the stuff we get in SF (and my wife grew up in chinatown, so that's an endorsement). awesome name, also, which will be submitted to Maxim "New Big Wang Restaurant"

made it through the day after a lot of walking, a great viewing of 42nd street (the musical as well as the actual pavement) and a late dinner at Basilica (homemade ravioli w/meat sauce...yum).

next day we hit up a french bistro in the upper west side for brunch (who knew that a a coating of carmelized sugar on french toast raises it from "breakfast" to "event"?). we then visited the Met for my first look at the classic artists. it was great, but I think I like the museum of natural history better. Dinner that night was at Blue Fin in the W hotel.

Monday started at Katz's followed quickly by a chocolate cannolli next door. a long day of shopping ensued, followed by a nap before dinner.
dinner was at Le Zinc (another great neighborhood restaurant) and an evening wandering the village. we eventually settled at Club Groove for a live R &B/Funk band that jammed all night long.
Tuesday we met with a friend for lunch at grand central station before heading to JFK and home.

some observations. prices are rediculous, but you kind of get what you pay for. The city is so alive and so vibrant, but you have to pay through the nose to have access to it all.

It's a great place to visit, but I would never want to live there. 4K a month for a decent two bedroom? no thanks. smelling the city every day of my life? no thanks.

maybe it's the mix of races or something in the air, but there's a lot of, um, female talent there, without the enhacing effects of silicone. thankfully, I wore contacts and sunglasses there, or my wife would have slapped me silly.

jet blue rocks. for a coach flight, it was a really good deal. forget the ridiculous prices (230 rt), the direct TV for every seat was the nuts.

a really fun trip, but I'm glad I'm back.