PDA

View Full Version : When you first started playing poker, did you get beginners' luck?

AncientPC
09-08-2004, 12:27 PM
I still remember my first table at Party (first time playing poker for money as well). I only knew the general principles of hold 'em and just deposited to get bonus at Party.

I sat down and hit an enormous rush of cards, taking down 20BB pots with quads, boats, nut flushes, straights within the first half hour - hour of playing. It was so crazy that the entire emptied after those hands.

Of course, that rush didn't last very long . . .

citizenkn
09-08-2004, 03:16 PM
I made a $100 deposit at PokerRoom, and within 3 hours of playing at my first $1-2 limit table, I had doubled my money. It took another month before I managed to win another $100, and even longer before I realized I had started out playing WAY beyond my bankroll. But that beginner's luck was enough that I have never had to make another deposit...

Choven
09-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Two answers below.

Online: Started at Party to get a deposit bonus. Sat down at the 3/6 tables and doubled my bankroll (a whopping 300) in 2 days. Lost it all the very next day. Talk about over confidence...

B&M: The day of my 21st B-Day, I went to the Riverboats to play poker before heading back to school. The only table that I could sit at was a 2-10 7-stud table. I sat down with 120 (Hey, I was a nOOb!) and played 4 hands. Hand 1: I had 2-pair on fourth street and lost to trips. Hand 2: Folded trip queens (first 3 cards!!!) to an apparent flush on 6th street. Hand 3: folded before 4th street. Hand 4: Caught the wheel on fifth street, lost to a full house. That was by far the fastest I've ever went bust. As a side note, I recouped my losses over Thanksgiving Break (back to back quads against same old lady..hehe).