PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this correctly by being ultra-passive?

johnnycakes
09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
These situations are rare, but I figured playing this hand passively (especially from the turn) was correct. A raise would only drive out hands that were far behind and/or set me up for a re-raise by hands that had me beat.

I think my only error (arguably) was not 3-betting PF.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

River: (10.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.20 BB

What do you think?

Johnny

Zele
09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Your line seems OK in this unusual situation.

Cleveland Guy
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Raise that river. One of the 2 passives behind you will probably cold call, and the Button will probably call.

That's 3 more bets, vs. the 2 you got from just calling.

Zele
09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Both are much more likely to fold to a raise, and it of course exposes you to the risk of a reraise from Button. I found this overcall induction to be the most straightforward part of the hand.

TJD
09-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Not easy but I CR the turn. (I am a lunatic tho' so treat with care /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Is a 2 out? Is 43 out? Is 55 out is Ax (x&gt;J) out. Is A5 out? Who knows?

Let's find out, that could be fun - RAISE! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I am reraised I need to rethink.

However, if the "nasty" hands are NOT out there what the 'eck are UTG and CO in there with? Even the button is only betting when checked to.

Ax; X5; X4; X3; A3; A4; XX???

Ax does not have odds to call a smooth call; neither does XX but all the others are damn close for calling one and nowhere near for calling 2 (I think; done this quickly)

I raise "to protect" and swear when reraised.

trevor

tripdad
09-08-2004, 05:18 PM
i think going for the overcalls as you did is the right play.

this way you get maximum value when you win(you are at most giving up 1 BB, but more than likely gaining 1BB), as well as minimize your loss when you don't.

cheers!