PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8 resources?

11-07-2001, 10:20 AM
I'm a fair HE player, and would like to learn Omaha 8. Any suggested books or web sites for this?

I'd like some general strategy and a simple point system. Thx in advance!

11-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Go to Badger's website (www.playwinningpoker.com) and read his "Intro to Omaha 8."

Of course the Ray Zee book.

There's a Hutchinson Point Count that gets mentioned. I don't bother with point counts, but do a google search and you'll run across the website address.

11-08-2001, 12:54 AM
I've been playing for about six months (after I swore to my wife I'd never try this game!!). TJ Cloutier's book on the subject includes all forms, i e, the split version, Omaha hi and pot- limit, and in my opinion, this is well worth a read.I haven't yet read the book co- authored by Ray Zee on split games which, in part, covers the split game, but have read and heard

positive things about it.

11-08-2001, 03:57 PM
I've read the books by Zee, Smith, Payne, and Nelson, and Badger's introduction. Here's my take.

For a beginner, playing in a very loose game (and it probably will be, at low limits), if you read Shane Smith's book and just do everything she says, you will do fine. Although she doesn't have a point count system, she groups hands by value - somewhat similar to what Sklansky did for hold'em hands. And there aren't too many hand types to remember.

I also liked John Payne's book, which is also geared toward a loose game. He has calculated the "present value" of preflop card combinations as the percentage of time they make the nuts, not counterfeited, on the river. Being the math geek that I am, I liked all the statistics he generated. These statistics allow you to assign values to different card combinations, which is part way toward a point count system, although Payne does not do this. (I am working on this, and will have a future post about it in the "Other Poker Games" forum.)

Ray's book is the best, but you have to bear in mind that it is "for advanced players" and is geared toward a much tighter and tougher game than you are going to see in low limits. His advanced plays, such as raising to squeeze another good player out, just won't be applicable. You do need to read this book, however.

Badger's essays are very readable and helpful. Since you are a hold'em player, you will especially like his concept of "schooling," and how it helps your loose opponents in hold'em but doesn't help them in Omaha.

I didn't much like Andy Nelson's 2 Omaha8 books, even though I did like his stud hi/lo/8 books.

Point count systems: I've never seen one that I liked. Hutchison has made a nice effort, but I disagree with his values for A2, A3, 23, etc. I think I remember that A2 is 20 points and A3 is 17 points; this vastly overvalues the A3 compared with the A2. And then he gives value to A4, 24, and worse, where the value assigned to them should be zero.

Good luck, and post some hands on "Other Poker Games" when you get going.

Dick

11-08-2001, 04:02 PM
among the forums, here on 2+2, is one titled "books/software"----you may want to post there.

but I can tell you Ray Zee for H/L and Bob Ciaffone(not sure about spelling) for high only

for software, Wilson is only way to go