PDA

View Full Version : Astros Future

Vaughn
09-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Bet365.com lists the Houston Astros at +1600/+5000 to win the National League and World Series titles. While they are not guaranteed to make the playoffs (there a 1/2 game out of the wildcard at the moment), they do have the offense and the starting pitching to contend with the Cardinals. I see the Cubs and the Marlins not making the playoffs due to their inconsistency, Atlanta doesn't have the firepower or overwhelming pitching to win in the playoffs, and whoever comes out of the NL West will be the weakest team in the playoffs. I see it as a two horse race at the moment, and with their momentum, this is a nice price that has yet to be adjusted. Any other thoughts of reason?

MrGo
09-08-2004, 11:06 AM
I'm a long time Astros fan and I am LOVING evey minute of this great streak they are having. However I disagree with you about their starting pitching. They only have 2/5 of the rotation they had on opening day. Pettitte and Miller are gone for the year and Redding is underachieving big time. They would be a dangerous team in the NLDS because of the best of 5 format. Oswalt and Clemens would both pitch twice if it went 5 games - very tough for the opposing team. Backe has had 2 good starts and 1 shaky one against Chicago. Hernandez looks good but is unproven. And Munro is not consistant.

I hope they can keep this run alive. Their schedule is in their favor - they have games vs. Pitts., Cincy, and Milwaukee. They however play 6 or 7 games vs St. Louis, who have owned Houston this year.

I don't like SF's chances simply because of their schedule. They play SD and LA twice - LA practically has won the NL West and SD is still in it for the wild card. Chicago also has pitching question marks and Sosa hasn't been consistanly healthy all year.

Go 'Stros!

MrGo
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Odds are now +1600/+3300

Still good prices.

MrGo
09-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Houston - 4 HR's in the 1st inning today vs. Cincinnati. Currently up 5-1 in the 5th. With Clemens pitching, looks like Houston will tie their franchise record with 12 straight wins!

shemp
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
The Cubs and Marlins have easier schedules and are ahead in the loss column. It's a 5 team race and I think just getting in has got to be around 4 to one against. Once in, a good wildcard team is still likely in the neighborhood of 4 to 1 against to win the pennant.

Put it together and 16:1 is not exciting.