PDA

View Full Version : My idiot friend...

jandkbuds
09-08-2004, 04:45 AM
My friend and I were playing a heads up tourney...playing for who paid for the next round of golf for 50 dollars.
We each started with 1000 in chips and the blinds were 15-30
I was first to act in the small blind and I made it 90 to go from the small blind. Pocket 6's
My friend calls the 60 and the flop ensues.
10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
He goes all in for his 900 dollar stack. He had J /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I have been arguing with him for 3 hours that he overplyed it. Obviously I mucked, but when I said he bet too much, he thought it wasn't a bad move. I said he was out of his mind and he should really be a little more careful when he's drawing to the Alien Mother of all Flops. I woulda tried to milk it out if I were him and if I miss on the turn I make a large bet, even willing to move in to a raise... Whos right?

mackthefork
09-08-2004, 05:47 AM
I think he is I would push that heads up no question.

Regards Mack (Not the greatest HU player in the world)

ChuckNorris
09-08-2004, 06:20 AM
A bit of an overplay perhaps. However, I don't see what you
mean by "milking" with draws, and I don't think that pushing
is horrible. With an OESD, flush draw and overcards
combined to the fold equity it's definately +EV. Of course
I'd want the opponent to fold, but if he called, i'd
probably have lots of outs, assuming he didn't flop a boat
or quads.. And even then I'd have a few. Still, I think
just betting the pot would be more reasonable. If the BB
just calls the flop bet and checks the turn, I'd be happy to
take a free card and check/fold the river if unimproved.
If he'd make a big enough raise on the flop or bet on the
turn, I'd fold right there.

La Brujita
09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
His move isn't bad at all but possibly is risking a bit too much in terms of chips risked vs. chips gained imo. A pot sized bet is 22% of his stack. At about 35% I would probably move in.

I would have made about a 175 chip bet here but his move is not awful since there is some money in the pot.

If there were let's say 40 chips in the pot it would be an awful move because he would likely only be called by a hand like 99 or 10-9.

I hear your point about risking too much on his end but the problem with a hand like this is it is very difficult to play if a blank hits on fourth street. Most of his power comes now on the flop.

I hate to backtrack but I might consider moving in as well to just take down the chips and avoid a very difficult decision on the turn if opponent is an aggressive player who might move all in when a blank hits. Against a passive player I would bet the pot.