PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare for the BIG tourny IRL

Lamby2
09-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi all,

how do you prepare for the big/important tourny?

What I will try is play on-line tournies with the same format, eat & sleep well before etc etc.

Should I bring candies, books, walkman etc??? My thinking is that this mentaly prepares me for a long tournament and that could be equal to success :-)

How do I dress? My most "comfy" clothes or other to create image? I have an offer to wear sponsor clothes, is this a good idea or just stupid.

I am unknown for the other in the toruney my guess is thats a great thing until the final table.

My goal is to get in to the money and after that take one step at the ladder at the time.

Looking forward to any advice.

Best Regards
Lamby

p.s
you dont have to play highstakes tournies to answer. If you step up one level you are playing a important tourny.

p.p.s
preparation for on-line tournies???

cferejohn
09-08-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I bring candies, books, walkman etc??? My thinking is that this mentaly prepares me for a long tournament and that could be equal to success :-)

How do I dress? My most "comfy" clothes or other to create image?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say go with whatever makes you the most comfortable. If a walkman helps you relax and play well, go for it (it also may stop other players from talking to you, which may be a good thing if most of your experience is online).

By books, I'm going to hope/assume you don't mean reading at the table but if you want to read in your spare time (if its a multi-day or series of tournaments. If that helps you relax, great. If you are in a situation where you will have alot of down time, I assume it goes without saying to get enough sleep and eat well.

If you are a fairly experienced player and feel good about your skill level, I'd say just try to play your game.

[ QUOTE ]
I have an offer to wear sponsor clothes, is this a good idea or just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say go for it. You may want to check with the tournament director to see if there is a problem with that. If it is something televised, you probably won't be able to wear it at the final table, but presumably the sponsor knew that when they made the offer.

Good luck!

Dr_Colossus
09-08-2004, 05:11 AM
What's the tournament in question. Is it based in Ireland (IRL) and what is the buy in. How much players are you likely to be up against and what is the format of the tournament.

Skunkbush
09-08-2004, 05:31 AM
I believe IRL=in real life. I might be wrong though.

mullaney
09-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing candy is not a good thing to eat. I wouldn't drink a lot of sweet drinks either. I think if you are looking to maintain your alertness over a long period you don't want to have big swings in your blood sugar. Perhaps eating nuts and drinking water would be a better strategy to stay alert. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? I'm playing my first decent NL tourney this weekend myself.

Lamby2
09-09-2004, 02:43 AM
Hi,

I ment "in real life" with IRL.
The format is 150 players no-limit freeze-out. The buy-in is 800 dollar. For me this is the biggest event I ever played in so for me its a big thing.

Any advice?

BR
Lamby

Lamby2
09-09-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi,
thanks for your advice.

The book thing: I saw a player reading at the table during the 3 first levels in the last tourny and I read (or heard on WPT) that some pro do this as well.
My biggest fear is going from 150 hands/hour to maybe 30 and I need to prepare how to stay focused and waiting for the right spots.
Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Lamby