PDA

View Full Version : What's the correct ruling?

RocketManJames
09-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Late night at the local B&M.

Guy looks down at his 2 cards... he realizes he's been dealt 3 cards. He immediately tells the dealer. No action has taken place yet.

What is the correct ruling?

What the floorman did definitely made sense. What's the correct way to handle this situation? I've seen the 3-card problem before, but this is the first time it was handled this way, and it certainly made sense.

-RMJ

CrazyIvan24
09-08-2004, 04:21 AM
It is ruled a MISSED DEAL

Luv2DriveTT
09-08-2004, 09:50 AM
I belive if action has already taken place, the hand is concidered dead and play continues. The deal may at his or her option consider it a miss-deal if the play has not already started.

TT in da house /images/graemlins/club.gif

Andy B
09-08-2004, 12:18 PM
With no action, it's a misdeal. If there had been any action, though, the guy's hand would have been dead.

Aces McGee
09-08-2004, 12:33 PM
I vote for giving a third card to everyone else and playing a hand of Crazy Pineapple. Maybe not the correct decision, but definitely the best one.

-McGee

Rick Nebiolo
09-08-2004, 12:38 PM
As others have stated a misdeal is declared because there is no action. In Los Angeles, action is defined as two players acting on their hand.

Note that a good floorman won't take an eyeball view when deciding where the "action" is. He must find out what point attention was brought to the problem, and then apply the rules correctly.

For example, in holdem UTG folds, just before UTG+1 raises the cutoff exclaims "I have three cards", UTG+1 completes his raise, UTG+2 and UTG+3 both fold while the cutoff continues with his exclamation. The dealer stops the action and calls the floor. Incompetent floor looks at the fact two hands are active and two hands are in the muck and kills the cutoff's hand. Good floor asks the dealer (and players if necessary) "Where was the action when attention was brought to the problem?". A good floor gets good information. Now a misdeal is declared.

Regards,

Rick

RocketManJames
09-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Well, it seems that everyone agrees it is some form of a mis-deal or dead hand. Here's how it was handled... right or wrong, it certainly made sense to me.

The floorman was called over... he spread out the 3 cards, scrambled them up as much as you can with only 3 cards, and pulled one out at random and exposed it. And the remaining two cards were the man's live hand.

I'd never seen this done before. But, thinking about it more aftewards... it certainly made sense. No one gained any advantage by this happening. The man got a live hand instead of a dead one. No need to re-shuffle and deal a new hand.

Maybe it was the wrong ruling, but I thought it was a nice solution.

-RMJ

parade
09-08-2004, 05:31 PM
I have actually seen that done as well. The card being randomly picked, exposed, and used as the burn card.

Thythe
09-08-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is ruled a MISSED DEAL

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody missed the deal (Unlike Murphy in the WSOP where he showed up late, he missed several deals). It could be a misdeal though. Sorry for being an ass in advance.