PDA

View Full Version : Pocket AA cracked

Tom22
09-07-2004, 11:10 PM
I was playing at the 1,2 no-limit game at the Borgata and came across this hand. I was in the big blind with AA. Everyone had folded with the exception of the small blind which raised it to $20. This is a large raise in this game and is usually done when someone has a higher pocket pair (9s through Qs) to eliminate some of the competition. I just called, with the intention of raising later. The flop is 2,6,8 rainbow. He bets $40 into a $40 pot. I put him on a steal possibly with A,K. I just called the $40. The turn come a J (suit is insignificant). He goes all in for $246, the pot pre-turn is $120. I have enough to cover him.

The small blind player is a smart player and I had not seen a bluff from him (for approximately 3 hours) although he is definitely capable of bluffing. I thought he may have pocket Qs and hoped I had a jack to go all-in. The only hand I could put him on that he could beat me was pocket Js. But if he did I the pockets Js he would have the nut and was the type of player to slow play them. So I thought I had him beat and called him. He flipped over pockets 6 and the river was no help. I had lost over $300 in this pot. Did I play this hand wrong?

fyi, this is the first time that I have posted.

youngin20
09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
Come over his top all in pre-flop. Either he will put it all in there, thinking he has the best hand (esp. if you put him on high pocket pair) or you will pick up a nice pot. You dont really drag monsters with AA unless you catch a set, and crush someone with two pair, or trips...unless its a multiway pot. So i say pick up a 20 or get his whole stack.

jslag
09-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Don't slowplay your Aces preflop. Move all-in or make a very substantial re-raise. Don't give small pairs odds to call and bust you with a set like that. Chances are if he was a decent player as you suggest, he would have laid 66 down in a heartbeat and you'd be $20+blinds richer.

If you know a $20 raise is most likely a pocket pair, then you HAVE to re-raise preflop. It may even look like you're trying to steal the pot out the big blind and you could get a very loose call.

Also, given your (bad) line of play preflop, I don't like the call on the flop either. You cannot define his hand this way, make a raise. On the turn you're beaten, make the laydown... knowing that you wasted your AA on your preflop decision.