PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Biggest Jerk?

RPatterson
09-07-2004, 10:58 PM

krabby5
09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Josh Arieh acting like an ass..saying how the A-J was a bad call...not mentioning how lucky he got...

I would have so been bleeped out by ESPN if that would have happened to me..and then have to listen to that arrogant punk.

random
09-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Demitriou did play that hand pretty poorly, I think. What hands could Josh have? AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, a decent draw, or an unlikely bluff. Only the bluff will fold and he only beats the draw and AT. Josh made a huge overbet to let him get away, but he was stubborn.

Stew
09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Josh Arieh acting like an ass..saying how the A-J was a bad call...not mentioning how lucky he got...

I would have so been bleeped out by ESPN if that would have happened to me..and then have to listen to that arrogant punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is he's right, putting all your money in with AJ is not too bright and Josh had 12 outs, so he wasn't all that lucky. I'm beginning to wonder if some people that post in this particular forum know anything about poker at all.

The13atman
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he only beats the draw and AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

He put him on the draw and was right (thereby making him the favorite). Explain how that is bad poker.

random
09-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Actually he could also have any two broadway combination, with the ones beating AJ being more likely.

random
09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
With that monster over-bet, it's too risky, and Arieh is not folding a heart draw.. A stop 'n go would have been much better.

B Dids
09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
He was right, but he's still a dick about it. That said, I'm pretty sure it was intentional. He's trying to tilt people and he said that in the little feature. I don't like it, but it's not wrong, just dickish.

Stew
09-07-2004, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was right, but he's still a dick about it. That said, I'm pretty sure it was intentional. He's trying to tilt people and he said that in the little feature. I don't like it, but it's not wrong, just dickish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed and the difference b/w him and someone like Hellmuth who acts like an ass, according to some, to tilt people is he admits it.

The13atman
09-07-2004, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With that monster over-bet, it's too risky, and Arieh is not folding a heart draw.. A stop 'n go would have been much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is true since you can't think of long term EV in something like the WSOP, however if you are running low on chips (I don't know if he was or not) you might as well push all-in when you think you have the best of it at that point in the hand.

krabby5
09-07-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm beginning to wonder why MY poker skills are put in question when I point out a classless jerk when I see one..Josh Arieh is a VERY aggressive player that likes to bully people around...

So he took a stand and called, knowing he probably had the best hand (which he did) and lost...why is that so wrong?

Either way, Josh Arieh has a face you just want to punch

West
09-07-2004, 11:42 PM
When you play as aggressive as Arieh apparently does, you're going to have opponents go against you sometimes with hands they wouldn't play against most others.

Regardless of whether you think it was good or bad play in general, to me, two things are undeniable:

1) Demetriou was right, his hand wasn't dominated, and

2) Arieh showed a total lack of class after winning the hand.

Isn't Arieh "razorbax" on Stars? I think I've heard that. If it is, I have to say, there aren't many IDs I remember solely for the reason that they were big mouthed pricks, and who I wish bad luck upon if I see them in the player list - but that's one of them.

B Dids
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Arieh is "razorbax".

DCIAce
09-07-2004, 11:55 PM
I think it's a toss-up between Matusow and Arieh, just going from what I've seen on TV.
Hellmuth seems more childish than jerk-ish (I know that isn't a word. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif).
Matusow generally just seems like a loudmouth, but he went over the line in the now infamous rant directed at Raymer.
Arieh just seems like an arrogant ass.

I voted for Matusow, just because of the non-poker related insults he'll spew sometimes. I may change my vote to Arieh after next week's ESPN coverage, though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

DimensionPresident
09-08-2004, 04:17 PM
I thought it was hilarious that in the first episode Hellmuth was talking about his reputation and how he's been getting "better". He actually goes on to say "I am actually getting known for being the gentleman of poker"... He says it with a straight face, dead serious.

Then about 10 minutes later when the tournament starts he is crying up a storm.

If I ever sat at a table with him, I would want him to act like a jerk. Anything else would be a disappointment. It would be like Hulk Hogan or The Rock coming out and not screaming that they're the greatest wrestlers in the world.

codewarrior
09-08-2004, 04:30 PM
D. Erostratus

coolhandtom
09-08-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
D. Erostratus

[/ QUOTE ]

i too was searching for this option.. at least it wasnt a gus hansen post for once...

Daliman
09-08-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Demitriou did play that hand pretty poorly, I think. What hands could Josh have? AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, a decent draw, or an unlikely bluff. Only the bluff will fold and he only beats the draw and AT. Josh made a huge overbet to let him get away, but he was stubborn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely not true. If Arieh had ANY of these hands, why overbets the pot? JA was splashing around alot, HD trapped him in, made the right call, the right play, the right read, and got the wrong result. Refer to the hand where JA went allin with a stright draw only on the turn vs a set and sucked out, then tell me again what hand JA could have.

random
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
If he made the right read putting JA on the flush draw, he should have called and pushed on the turn or led big on the flop.

You're right that he could have other hands (KJ, QJ, KT, QT), but he should assume that JA would correctly fold. If he is wrong, however, he is still giving proper odds for flushes to call. In the case of the way behind hands, giving a "free" card isn't so harmful. Why scare a guy off who is splashing chips around with very few outs? AJ is not a trapping hand. If he thought he had better big cards than Josh he should have reraised preflop. If he thought Josh had a small pair, he should have saw the flop bet and thought "whoops" and been done with it.

If JA had the hands I mentioned before, why the flop overbet? To get rid of 9hTh /images/graemlins/smile.gif. He also had the image of a super-aggro, so if he did indeed hold these hands he probably knows he'd get paid off by a second-best type hand. I once asked a very respected online player how he does so well in his NL game and why people keep playing him shorthanded and he said quite simply "you gotta give action to get action." And, obviously, you have to know how to use that to your advantage, as Josh has done.

In the case of the all-in with the straight draw, everyone knows he got lucky, but he took a stab when the scare card came - something many many players will do.

AncientPC
09-09-2004, 03:37 AM
I don't know who Mike Matusow is but I want to shoot that Swedish kid that keeps yelling every time he wins an all in.