PDA

View Full Version : Killer Poker

12AX7
09-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the book, "Killer Poker"?

Just leafed through it some... seems a little, umm... bi-directional?

Starts out saying to play "wild and crazy" ... then talks about playing "raise" and using only the cards above 9 etc.

So what does everyone think?

andyfox
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Not much of substance, but a fun read.

12AX7
09-07-2004, 11:22 PM
No real help to your game then?

maurile
09-08-2004, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No real help to your game then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on whether you need strategic advice or a pep talk.

uuDevil
09-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Starting to seem like all I do is refer to this thread, but wth:

From Mason's book reviews (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

[ QUOTE ]
Killer Poker; Strategies and Tactics for Winning Play (4) by John Vorhaus. Even though this book is written in a very entertaining style, I only felt a moderate amount of the material was of real value. Much of the book is a lecture on play your best, stay off tilt, and review your play. But very little is specific enough to lead any reader in any direction. Also, strategies like distract your opponents by talking to them, yell at the football game, and make fake angry phone calls on your cell phone might have a little bit of value if you already play very well, but again I didn’t see much that would lead you towards that goal. In fact, you might discover that following advice like this might “worsify” your game.
--Mason Malmuth

[/ QUOTE ]

andyfox
09-08-2004, 12:43 AM
No, but I believe I remember Tommy Angelo having some goode things to say about the book. And that should hold more weight than anything I might say. Might try the achives, or post on the general forum, don't think he visits this forum.

npc
09-09-2004, 01:53 AM
IMHO, if your problem is that you're playing weak-tight or if you're not in control of your game, this might help. If you're looking strategic advice, this really isn't it. I enjoy JV's writing, though, so it's a fun read even if you don't need help in this area.

Flashy
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
I rate the book between 6-7. I rate SSH a 10+. Before SSH, it was the only book preaching an agressive style of play. HPAP also does, but the message is quite as clear cut as Killer Poker.

Its value to me was understanding the mindset of an aggressive player. Not being scared when someone is constantly raising. I have made a lot of money picking off their bluffs as well as bluffing back.

It also let me know what I was in for as I moved up in stakes, where people will use bets to try and push you off pots. It will convince you if nothing else of the need for a bankroll at higher stakes so you can't get pushed around.

IMHO its worth a read, but it won't turn you into a Killer.

Anadrol 50
09-09-2004, 06:10 PM
I like Killer Poker. Has anybody read Internet Killer Poker ?

fyodor
09-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I read Internet Killer Poker and found it pretty much useless. I think I could have made better use of that time picking my nose.

Cerril
09-09-2004, 11:12 PM
I found his articles over at www.pokerpages.com (http://www.pokerpages.com) very good reads. I can't say they're top-notch analysis but they're interesting and probably won't hurt your game. I'd hope the book is the same way and only higher priorities (I bought SSH last time I was at the bookstore, TPFAP the time before, etc.) have kept me from buying a lot of those 'interesing but not of the most use' books).

crockpot
09-10-2004, 04:01 AM
killer poker online does a decent job of describing the differences between online and live poker. however, there isn't nearly enough meat on the subject to fill 200 pages. unless you're really new to internet poker or don't understand basic concepts of it, it's not worth a read. (except for entertainment value)

derick
09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
I have both Killer Poker and Killer Internet Poker.

They were fully half as useful as Ken Warrens Big Book of Poker. (They are only half as thick so they can only prop up a short table leg half as much)

If anyone wants to buy any or all three books I'd sell them cheap.

Here is a summary of the good advice in all 3 books.

Killer Poker - Play aggressively.
Killer Internet Poker - Don't get distracted on the Internet.
Ken Warren's - (This space intentionally left blank)

I'm just a beginner and this is my first post but I thought I'd warn people about these books. Maybe more advanced players found them more useful.

Other books I found better were. Super System, HPFAP, WLLH. Even Phil Helmuth's book Play Poker Like the Pro's was better. Based on the reviews here I've ordered SSH, TOP, and Middle Limit HoldEm.

Derick

balkii
09-10-2004, 09:57 PM
I read killer poker. it has a fair amount of value. not worth much on the whole though. there is a part in it where he is describing a scenario:

"You raise with pocket aces and get 3 callers, which is about 2 more than you'd like"

needless to say, the book is a little off sometimes.