PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic City 1st Time

top-spin
09-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I've played a few home games and more online. I'd like to try out Atlantic City for the first time in a really low stakes game. Any advice for this newbie (other than stay home). Like which table limits I should play? Things beginners do that annoy everyone? Unwritten rules? Stuff like that. I want to have a good time and not look like an idiot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

M50Paul
09-08-2004, 07:03 AM
I wouldnt worry about looking like an idiot, I think I set the all time record for that. I am new myself and the very first time I played Texas Holdem was at the Tropicana in AC. I woke up at 5am as usual and went down stairs to the poker room looking for a 7 card stud game which was the only game I knew. Now at 5am there arent a lot of people looking to play poker but there was one table with about 6 guys palying 2-4 Holdem so I sat down and played. I knew the general rules but that was it. I think it was obvious I knew nothing and they tried so hard to exploit me it was silly. Fortunately for me I had incredilble cards. I cant recall all the full hosues and flush I ended up with but I won over $100.00 in about an hour and a half. I realized that they all new each other and were whispering (paranioa setting in) about my play. I left with my winnings but when I look back I have to chuckle how things turned out. After that I started playing Texas Holdem all the time but read, read, read and played as much as I could. I now only stink at the game but am getting better. Trust me you cant look any worse then I did and I know from your posts you have a good grasp of the game. let them think what they will, enjoy it was fun.

I will tell you that I was not impressed with AC. I found the general atmosphere and comps to be at best second rated. The employees had no concept of customer satisfaction and the game structures were the least advanteages I have come accross.

bwana devil
09-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Play the lowest limit available since it's your first time.

Act in turn and act quickly.

Don't keep you chips stacked in the rack. It slows the game down.

Don't wear sunglasses.

Protect your hand. Don't let others sneak a peak at your cards. Put a chip on it AFTER you've shown youre playing.

Relax. Your hands will stop shaking after a 1/2 hour.

Leo99
09-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Good advice. I see a lot of mistakes and I make a lot of mistakes. People will fold out of turn. Raise out of turn. I've done both. You read on these boards about dealers mucking your cards when you didn't fold but that's rare. Most of the dealers do a real good job. It is amazing how many tells you read about come true. My first time playing was at the Taj and the guy to my left went all in on the turn with a short stack (possible 4 flush). That left a guy to my right and me still betting. He raised and then stared me down. He was an older guy about 65 and he had to know I was new at the tables. My wife was with and I was nervous holding a set. I just knew he wasn't as strong as he was presenting so I raised him back on the river. We went back and forth and I knew by his looks he was trying harder to get me to fold. When we flipped the cards I had the set to his 2 pair. I got the side pot when the all in guy rivered his flush.

You'll find a lot of really weak players. Just wait for your cards. I'm still waiting.....

top-spin
09-09-2004, 05:01 PM
thanks for the advice - i'm going w/another newbie and what you say makes a lot of sense /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ewile
09-09-2004, 11:40 PM
2/4 is going to be the lowest limit you find at the Borg, Trop and Taj