PDA

View Full Version : Hand Critique Needed - Big Hand Early - What does my opponent have?

jjb108
09-07-2004, 09:03 PM
OK, here's the situation. Its fairly early on in the tournament. Here's my thought process. The hand has been bothering me for several days. Let me know what you think of my play after the flop, turn, and especially the river.

Late position limps so I assume no big hands, like AA, KK, or AK (its late position). Probably not QQ, JJ, TT, KQ, QJ etc. either. I flop a big hand (?) and don't think it is too vulnerable to a card (at the time) so I bet small with the intention of betting pot on the after the turn. Didn't think about JT being possible at the time. I'm raised, I reraise. I'm putting him on top pair at best, say K7 or A rag. Turn comes with now a 4 flush and JT hit the straight if its there. At the time, I'm still convinced he has top pair. So I bet pot expecting a fold and get a call. I still think I've got the best hand. Looking at the replay, this hand is very vulnerable but I'm still learning and I can't believe I don't have the best hand. Last card A comes and I think I can make a little more because he may have hit his A. I bet, he reraises and now I know I've lost but call because if my first instinct on the hand was I had the best of it early.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm thinking I ignored to many hands that crush me. What do you think my opponent has? Should I have called the last raise.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t770)
CO (t1750)
Button (t895)
Hero (t695)
BB (t800)
UTG (t1490)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t15, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t45) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t15</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t85</font>, CO calls t35.

Turn: (t215) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t215</font>, CO calls t215.

River: (t645) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t400</font>, Hero calls t180 (All-In).

Final Pot: t1425
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1405 (t1405), between CO and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t20 (t20), returned to CO.</font>

woodguy
09-07-2004, 09:23 PM
55?

woodguy
09-07-2004, 09:27 PM
TJo?

rybones
09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
my first thought is (and not to be rude) why are you playing K,5 in the first place?
I say he has K,Q or K,9. Personally, I stay away from K,9 but lots of folks play it because they are hoping for an inside straight draw -- go figure. Anyway. I would limp early in a tourney with K,Q even in late position, it is not -- imo -- a great hand, but worth playing and hoping for a flop. Additionally, and sorry to say this, but I know tons of folk who play K, any other card. 9 out of 10 times I beat these guys into the ground as my q or other kicker is either good, hits the turn or river, or the board pairs a higher pair than what they are holding. Alas, the villian has K,Q or K,9. but hell, I could be wrong?

Additionally, I would love comments on my analysis from any and all.

Ryan

DemonDeac Holding Rockets
09-07-2004, 11:40 PM
I wanna say that he has AK. His raises were very minimal, hopeing to induce a call from you. He thought his TPTK on the flop was good so he made the minimal raise and just called your reraise on the flop. Then he calls ur pot size bet still with TPTK on the turn knowing that u could bet on the river, and u do and he still makes the minimal raise having improved to top two pair. You see this alot in party poker. Hes not acting that strong with teh minimal raises but in party that usually means strength. As to why he just called Preflop wiht big slick, i would say because this guy thought he was hot [censored] because he was gonna slowplay a hand(even thought its not even a made hand). This guy doesnt have a clue about position in HE. but hey, i could be completely wrong. thats what makes NL HE the cadillac of poker.

Hotrod0823
09-07-2004, 11:42 PM
You are not going to complete for T5 with K5. I think you can complete with virtually any 2 cards for 1/3 of a bet.

Anyway, I think JT has it. I question why the 1/3 pot bet with top and bottom 2 pair. I think would bet out the pot minimum. By raising and calling your reraise he has pretty well hidden his draw.

Just a guess?

jjb108
09-07-2004, 11:45 PM
No offense taken. Thanks for replying. I played the cards because it was only 5 more in SB. I wouldn't have called at the next blind. I wouldn't touch K5o other than in the BB. You put him on two pair...which seems to be the likely candidate now that I'm analyzing. I have trouble laying down 2 pair.

I'll post the results on Friday...got a live tournament tomorrow. Hope I play better than this.

ChuckNorris
09-08-2004, 06:33 AM
I'm putting him on 55, JT or AKo.

I don't like your minibet on the flop, and betting half your stack on the river and then calling all-in. Your hand isn't near the nuts.

mackthefork
09-08-2004, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
TJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Much more likely in my opinion

Regards Mack

Sam T.
09-08-2004, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Late position limps so I assume no big hands, like AA, KK, or AK (its late position). Probably not QQ, JJ, TT, KQ, QJ etc. either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go along with you some of the way here. A big pair seems unlikely, but what makes you think he's not limping with a couple of unsuited face cards or JT? Early in a tournament it's not the worst play in the world.

rybones
09-08-2004, 09:43 AM
there has been some great analysis here. Now I really want to know what the other guy had. Please post when you get a minute.

Thanks for the cool puzzle,

Ryan

jjb108
09-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Villian shows A5o

I was stunned. So I was reading it correctly that I was ahead with the pot bet after the turn. Still poorly played.