PDA

View Full Version : Final table play at PS $10+1

akira
09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Managed to get to the final table Sat afternoon at the 10+1 non rebuy tournament (thanks 2+2!) Unfortunately, once at the final table I didn't do too well, as I got out at 8th place. I was happy to get to the table, but somewhat dissapointed that I got so close and didn't win more money (8th place was $180). Do you guys prefer the rebuys for this reason, since they pay off better?

Here are my hands at the final table. Since it was all-in/fold, I won't detail any flops. Bold hands are ones I was unsure about. What's the strategy at this point? Would you guys have done differently?

Starting stack sizes:

Hero (t94300)
Seat 2 (t183107)
Seat 3 (t144781)
Seat 4 (t93707)
Seat 5 (t110086)
Seat 6 (t102201)
Seat 7 (t205868)
Seat 8 (t122994)
Seat 9 (t60456)

Blinds 4K/8K + 400 ante:

Hands:

4h 7d - junk hand EP, won't detail - folded around
Ks 2d - raised from EP (Seat #2), I folded from BB
6c 3s -
Kc 4s - raised right before me (#9), I folded from MP
9c 9s - I push all in from LP (had 81K chips), table folded

Kd Qh - folded to me MP, I fold (96K chips). Should I have pushed all in again, or should maybe just raised? I would have pushed LP, but since I just pushed previous hand didn't want to risk it from MP.

5d Qs - folded to me MP, I fold
5d 7c
3h 8s
3s Qs
2d 5c

Blinds 6K/12K 600 ante
Stacks:
Hero (t94300)
Seat 2: (t238307)
Seat 3: (t144781)
Seat 4: (t74107)
Seat 5: (t114086)
Seat 6: (t102201)
Seat 7: (t190268)
Seat 8: (t107394)
Seat 9: (t52056)

Hands:

Ts 6c
8c As - raised from EP (#7), I fold MP
Qc 7d
Kh Kd - folded to me, I push all in from MP, table folded
3h Ah - folded to me in MP, I fold
Td 7s
Jd Kh - I fold from UTG
7s 9s
4c 7d
9c 7c
Qd 8s - folded to me in the button, I push, SB + BB folds (had 79K chips before push). Good steal or too risky?
Kh 8d - raised from EP (#3), I fold MP
9d 9c - folded to me MP, I push all in - BB calls w/ AQ and spikes an Ace on the river

GrinningBuddha
09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Starting stack sizes:

Hero (t94300)

Blinds 4K/8K + 400 ante:

[/ QUOTE ]

While you're getting low, I wouldn't necessarily consider this all-in or fold territory just yet. A raise to 20K or 24K might be just as effective, while allowing you to get away from your true steals.

[ QUOTE ]

4h 7d - junk hand EP, won't detail - folded around
Ks 2d - raised from EP (Seat #2), I folded from BB
6c 3s -
Kc 4s - raised right before me (#9), I folded from MP
9c 9s - I push all in from LP (had 81K chips), table folded

Kd Qh - folded to me MP, I fold (96K chips). Should I have pushed all in again, or should maybe just raised? I would have pushed LP, but since I just pushed previous hand didn't want to risk it from MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

The advantage of raising to 3xBB rather than all in at this point is that you can do it more frequently and not have to worry about people looking you up on your weaker hands. If you had done it w/ the 99, you could have done it w/ the KQo and gotten away from it if someone came over the top. Given that you are pushing all the time, I don't mind tossing the KQo the hand after pushing with 99. I'd go with the KQo at tight tables or with shortish-stacked blinds.
[ QUOTE ]

Blinds 6K/12K 600 ante
Stacks:
Hero (t94300)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, push in time now.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I might make an exception here and raise to 30K, which would allow you to make a pot sized bet if called pre-flop. It's inconsistent for your style, which may set of warning bells in the other players' minds, but if you had been raising 2.5-3xBB previously, you might have gotten someone to look you up here.
[ QUOTE ]

3h Ah - folded to me in MP, I fold
Td 7s
Jd Kh - I fold from UTG
7s 9s
4c 7d
9c 7c
Qd 8s - folded to me in the button, I push, SB + BB folds (had 79K chips before push). Good steal or too risky?
Kh 8d - raised from EP (#3), I fold MP
9d 9c - folded to me MP, I push all in - BB calls w/ AQ and spikes an Ace on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise to 30K with the A3s. If someone comes over the top, lay it down. You had 114K or so, enough to make a steal raise.

Good steal on the button. Risky, but probably worth it for the size of the blinds. Tough luck with the coin flip. You win that, and you're in good shape, right up at the chip lead!

Consider raising more conventionally until you get below 10xBB. It gives you more opportunities to steal since you don't have to back a marginal hand with your whole stack.

akira
09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

While you're getting low, I wouldn't necessarily consider this all-in or fold territory just yet. A raise to 20K or 24K might be just as effective, while allowing you to get away from your true steals.

The advantage of raising to 3xBB rather than all in at this point is that you can do it more frequently and not have to worry about people looking you up on your weaker hands. If you had done it w/ the 99, you could have done it w/ the KQo and gotten away from it if someone came over the top. Given that you are pushing all the time, I don't mind tossing the KQo the hand after pushing with 99. I'd go with the KQo at tight tables or with shortish-stacked blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just realized I was down to 72K once I got the pocket 9s, since I had already posted the blinds after the 92K figure.. Sorry for not including better stack info.. I was considering raising KQo, but just like you said, I just pushed pocket 9s previous hand and didn't want anyone to reraise me thinking it is a steal raise. Would you have still raised instead of pushed w/ 9s at 72K?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

However, I might make an exception here and raise to 30K, which would allow you to make a pot sized bet if called pre-flop. It's inconsistent for your style, which may set of warning bells in the other players' minds, but if you had been raising 2.5-3xBB previously, you might have gotten someone to look you up here.

[/ QUOTE ]
At KK I have 78K chips, blinds are 12K. Could have raised 30K or so leaving me 48K, but I would need to push no matter what on the flop, even if an Ace came right?

Also, I know it was MP in this situation, but had it been earlier position, would a limp reraise been a valid option?

[ QUOTE ]

Raise to 30K with the A3s. If someone comes over the top, lay it down. You had 114K or so, enough to make a steal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had 100K at this point at A3s. Too bad I just pushed previous hand, I was worried about getting called this time..

Thanks for the advice!

GrinningBuddha
09-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Urg. Disregard any advice of mine that suggests you not go all-in if you have less than 10xBB. heh

The KQo is a tough spot, but I've found that people will give you two shots at the blinds unless they have a premium hand. After that, they'll start calling with more marginal hands, thinking you're stealing with crap.

A limp-reraise is another option with the KK, yes. You'd use this on the more aggressive tables. It always pays dividends to note how your table is playing when you're not in the hand, so that you can better make these plays when you get the cards. If you raise with the Kings, there is no flop you won't go all-in on.

The A3s is tough as well, which is why I like to raise 3xBB until I'm absolutely short stacked. I like to be able to fold if I feel I'm beat pre-flop, yet still be able to snag those blinds whenever possible.

TStoneMBD
09-09-2004, 12:06 AM
with the kq hand you have more than 10x bb after taking in the last pot so i think its fine to raise it to 2.5x-3xbbs here. i wouldnt have tried to steal with the A3h after taking the last pot, after pushing 2 hands in a row people are more likely to call you with an ace high, at which point you are in terrible shape. the Q8o is risky, but borderline.

the only problem i had with your play was the KQ. i think this hand is too powerful to lay it down simply because you pushed in the last hand.

Instinct
09-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I know the blinds are big but with KK I'm hoping to get action. I would probably have raised 3 times big blind. Someone may come over the top of you with a smaller pocket pair leaving you in good shape.

Often at the final table with blinds so big compared to the stacks you can reduce you steal raises below 3 or 4 times BB. Often 2x or 2.5X will do the trick as other players are still having to call off a significant chunk of their stack to call you.
If you only raise 2 times or slishly more you can get away from your steal raises easier and thus raise with the KQ and A3. If I make a smaller raise with KQ I don't hate having the BB call either.