PDA

View Full Version : hand rankings

10-27-2001, 07:06 PM
do you guys really memorize the hand rankings?

in the book, it says something like "there is no way around this."

but when i first memorized the hand rankings, it was a battle to break even.

suddenly, i realized why the hand rankings were what they were in general, and when to bend the rules - quite frequently.

so i can't reconcile the ideas that you are all winning players, and yet the pimary tool you have to figure out what to call or fold is some static list.

don't you KNOW what hand to call or raise with in a certain situation? don't you UNDERSTAND?

are some people just too emotional to do the right thing without a rule book, to hot for action?

ku

10-27-2001, 07:10 PM
i have no idea of the hand rankings below JJ. i never learned them. I started out playing really tight and have slowly opened my game up.

all i know is what situations to play pairs, suited connectors, big cards, Axs, Kxs, Qxs. There arent really any other kinds of hands.

10-27-2001, 08:54 PM
Dear nf,

I'm inclined to agree with your analysis.

Sitting Bull

10-27-2001, 10:01 PM
its not instantly intuitive to most people. it wasnt to me. i played way too loose in some positions and way too tight in some. it took alot of thought and figuring to get better. a good list that is memorized or learned well gives a good guideline to make variations from. to follow it blindly is of couse foolishness. poker is not blackjack.

10-28-2001, 10:15 AM

10-30-2001, 02:05 AM
Dear Player,

A scientific player who is a creative artist is a very dangerous foe.

When you have several of these types in the game, the game then becomes very scary. You have NO DEFENSE.

Sitting Bull