PDA

View Full Version : $1/$2 Paradise 5-max Hand

naphand
09-07-2004, 01:45 PM
I was somewhat tired today after our schizoid neighbour decided to wake up the block at 2AM, again. So with a small bonus to earn at Paradise, aggro/tight $3/6 tables, and the general lack of brain power I opted for the 5-max $1/2 tables.

I hope this hand will be of interest to the new generation of $1/2 posters.

I have sat down and immediately hit a few big hands and the table seems somewhat "abashed". A new player sits down to my immediate right, and seems quite aggro (for this limit), has shown one or two reasonable hands and a couple of draws. No-one else on the table is of any note, except the uber-fish also involved in this hand, who clearly is clueless.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Naphand is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, MP folds, Button <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Naphand caps</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button <font color="purple">(LAG)</font> calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Naphand 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">LAG caps</font>, Naphand calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Naphand 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">LAG caps</font>, Naphand calls.

River: (21 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Naphand calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 25 BB, between LAG and Naphand.</font>

Anyone care to comment? What is your read of the limp-re-raise? Who check/calls the River and why?

Results later.

fyodor
09-07-2004, 02:13 PM
If it was a normal player I would think the limp reraise was AA based on the rest of the hand. Being as it was a LAG he could be playing A6, A3, 66 or 33 the same way. KK is also not out of the question for a LAG. Rarely have I ran across someone limp reraising with AK though. Maybe I've led a sheltered existence.

Anyhow I don't think you could say with any certainty if you are ahead or behind or if you are behind is it because of the King or were you dead on the flop. This would be the reason to check call.

MisterKing
09-07-2004, 04:20 PM
I like your play pre-flop, on the flop, and the turn, IF (and only if) your LAG read is a solid one. Capping pre-flop against a limp re-raise is probably not the best move in some circumstances, IMO.

When the flop comes down, I think you're as likely to be ahead (vs. KK, AJ, QQ, KQs, JJ, TT etc.) as you are to be behind (AA, AK, 66). With UTG coming along for the ride, there's enough money in play to merit capping.

Turn makes you (temporarily) invincible against all but AA, QQ, and 66, so getting in as many bets as possible is good here, if you put him on something other than these three hands.

River, however, is check-call territory as far as I'm concerned. You have to see a showdown here, given the pot size, but the Kh is a killer. His AK, KK, QQ, JT (?), 66, and backdoor flush are all beating you, leaving only JJ, AJ, KQ, TT as hands you can beat.

Personally, I put him on AA-QQ. He was probably looking to slowplay to the flop and then pounce thereafter, saw some raises going in, and moved his plan forward one street as a result.

Nicely played, until 5th street.

stripsqueez
09-07-2004, 11:25 PM
all good

at a 1/2 table i'm going to take a lot of convincing that a limp reraise means much - after the limp reraise i think it is likely that this is a "resillo" line for your opponent - its an expression some greek guys taught me a long time ago and it basically means he is spewing chips because you have challenged his manhood

i could make arguments for slowing down a BB or 2 earlier but like i said - i like it

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

naphand
09-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Agreed, I think I should have check-called 5th street for the reasons you give.

I think the PF cap is easy given the uber-fish who is calling along, in my experience this limp-reraise at $1/$2 is most often Axs, and Strips greek-logic is almost certainly the reason they then re-raise. I have never been afraid of a limp-reraise at this level, as only once can I recall it actually being AA (and that player was significantly better than the average goon).

I don't cap the flop - LAG does. A 3-bet should be mandatory here. When he caps I have to start thinking harder about what he has.

Turn makes my life a lot easier - very few hands to worry about now, but again LAG caps.

River should have been check-call.

I enjoyed playing this guy, the rest on the table were terrible, and despite some intial slanging we proceeded to remove the other players money quite easily, while chatting about the various hands etc. Turns out he was off to Irag this weekend after playing poker every day for 4 months. He left slightly up on me, we both left comfortably up against the table.

naphand
09-08-2004, 12:34 PM
River: (21 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Naphand bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">LAG raises</font>, Naphand calls.

Final Pot: 25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 25 BB, between LAG and Naphand.</font>

Result:
Naphand has Qs Ac (two pair, aces and queens).
LAG has 3c 3h (three of a kind, threes).
Outcome: LAG wins 25 BB.

OK, so we can add any PP to the list of limp reraising hands now... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He was certainly LAG, albeit more loose than aggro. PF raises 13% V$IP 50% but I guess he was used to bullying the weak players who populate these tables. He made some pretty terrible calls to win a few hands, but played strongly and confidently post-flop.