PDA

View Full Version : He's got pocket 8's Vince, a very interesting hand indeed.

09-07-2004, 12:22 PM
I think I misplayed this on two streets. I'm pretty sure this is an easy raise preflop, but raising from the BB is a leak in my game that I am working on. After I got raised on the turn, I was sure I was up against a T, and decided to check fold the river if I didn't hit my straight. The river getting checked through made me sick, although I should have seen it coming with the 4-straight on board. I think the typical party player bets here with a 10 80% of the time though.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (2.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Edit: Ugh, just realized that CO posted. That makes it an easy raise, so disregard that part of the post.

Evan
09-07-2004, 12:28 PM
I feel like if CO had a T he would have raised the flop with the draw heavy board.

spamuell
09-07-2004, 12:29 PM
You absolutely HAVE TO raise pre-flop here, you're up against a random hand and a near random hand that wasn't good enough to raise against a random hand. This is just such a big pre-flop leak, there's no point discussing post-flop play. (For those who don't read every single thread on here, this is a reference to a previous challenger post.)

Seriously, I'll comment on post-flop. Flop, fine. Turn, fine. River, bet because it's fairly likely he raised you with something less than a T on the turn because you're HU and some crazy [censored] goes down HU. A lot of the time he won't bet that scary river and some of the time that he does will be a complete bluff and he won't call the c/r. Also, I don't like your idea of check-folding the river unless he is very straightforward indeed.

09-07-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You absolutely HAVE TO raise pre-flop here, you're up against a random hand and a near random hand that wasn't good enough to raise against a random hand. This is just such a big pre-flop leak, there's no point discussing post-flop play. (For those who don't read every single thread on here, this is a reference to a previous challenger post.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardy har har. Point taken, although not raising 8's from the BB is not nearly as big of a preflop leak as not raising KK UTG. I'm not sure if I would have check folded that river, although it doesn't seem like he would have raised me with anything I could beat. For the record, he had K9, not that it matters, but he did have me beat until the river.

MoreWineII
09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
What's up with the river check?

09-07-2004, 12:39 PM
FPS. I really thought he'd bet.

spamuell
09-07-2004, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not raising 8's from the BB is not nearly as big of a preflop leak as not raising KK UTG

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but when against two hands which were as bad as the ones you were likely up against, you really must raise 88 here.

About your post, on the river I really think you should have written "I check..." and not revealed the result, you would have got better responses.

09-07-2004, 01:24 PM
I agree, that probably was my biggest mistake of the hand. I was still in shell shock mode after I lost a giant pot with KQ top two being run down by runner runner 9 A to make higher two pair for a guy with A9. I need to work on that part of my game as well. Good point on the results though, I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

IndieMatty
09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Oddly enough in a very similar hand last night, (though I was the bb checkraising the flop 88 to a button raiser), I did not bet the river, as I was representing a T and it woiked. But it's still a mistake.

PS. Almost identical flop, and river on Paradise...weird. Online poker really is fixed I guess.