PDA

View Full Version : game theory books?

10-24-2001, 04:10 PM
Can someone recommend a book on game theory, especially the kind that is relevant to poker?

I don't know any game theory, but I have a Ph.D. in abstract algebra.

Nigel

10-24-2001, 04:51 PM
for an overall excellent book on math in gambling check out:

"the theory of gambling and statistical logic"

by richard a epstein, it has a good section on game theory, and tons of other stuff

also:

John von Neumann and Oskar Morgenstern 1944, "Theory of Games and Economic Behavior"

10-24-2001, 11:22 PM
I have Myserson's _Game Theory: Analysis of Conflict_, Luce and Raiffa's _Games and Decisions: Introduction and Critical Survey_, and Dresher's _The Mathematics of Games and Strategy: Theory and Applications_. The last two are fairly inexpensive Dover editions that I've only read pieces out of. Luce/Raiffa and Myserson both have a discussion of utility which is useful. I could only really recommend Myserson if you want to learn about Game Theory, but I'd guess that at least Luce and Raiffa was adequate. I've also heard good things but havn't read the books by Binmore. You could read the reviews on Amazon if you want a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each (like many people feel that Binmore's books are a little chatty but do get around to all the relevant material).

I have read the classics but I think there has been enough work done in this field since Zermelo, Borel, von Neumann, and Morgenstern (the latest work being right after WWII) that I think you are probably better off with a more recent text unless you like reading the original work in a field.

FWIW I don't think a deep understanding of game theory is necessary to squeeze out all but last drops of value from poker. OTOH its a very interesting field of Mathematics.

10-24-2001, 11:26 PM
Geeze..must be late.

s/Myserson/Myerson/

s/I have read the classics/I havn't read the classics/

10-25-2001, 12:33 AM
Winning Ways for you Mathematical Plays Berlekamp et al.

My college game theory class used Fun and Games by Binmore, it's not bad for introductory stuff.

10-30-2001, 03:18 AM
Dear Player,

I have a "gut" feeling that most of the top players didn't read one book on game theory.

Sitting Bull