PDA

View Full Version : 60k in 60 days: Season 2 - Day 7 and 8

gonores
09-07-2004, 10:27 AM
It was fantasy football draft weekend this past weekend. In my own, humble opinion, if there is one game at which I excel more than poker, it has to be fantasy football. This season alone, I have $520 spread out among a number of teams. Simply put, the game attracts the wrong kind of players; namely, it attracts football fans over EV-heads. Fortunately, I happen to be both. I am (as you could guess) a rabid Green Bay Packer fan. After the first ultrasound, mom and dad called the Packer office to put me on the waiting list for tickets. They didn’t even know yet what gender I was, so they put down the unisex name of Jamie and changed the name to Doug after I was born and they decided they couldn’t pull the trigger on Jamie. Anywho, the silver lining of #4’s retirement (that’s Brett Favre, our star QB, to all you people across the pond and elsewhere who define football incorrectly as that agonizingly slow sport where you can’t use your hands) is that the influx of available season tickets means I will finally get my pass into Valhalla….er, Lambeau.

Fantasy-wise, my weekend was OK. I employed a strategy in the 2+2 draft I often try to use but rarely get to fully implement. It’s no secret that the bye week can wreak havoc on a fantasy football team, so when I realized that I did not have a single player with a bye in week 8, I spent my last 4 picks all on players with that bye week. Now, when week 8 comes up, all I have to do is dump out my interchangeable spare parts and boom, no more bye week problem. However, during the same draft, I picked Anquan Boldin, who happens to be hurt for the first half of the season…ah, the perils of laziness.

I can’t say I got a ton of my earmarked players this year, but I did end up drafting relatively consistently healthy teams, and I was able to take a lot of flyers on rookies.

Undervalued studs
- Kellan Winslow (cmon...we all know Garcia likes to throw to big, strong mans).
- Chad Pennington (#3 overall QB in my book)
- Brandon Lloyd
- Lee Suggs
- Charles Rogers

Overvalued suckas
- Michael Vick (duh)
- Joey Harrington (hey! I drafted him in the 2+2 league!)
- Fred Taylor (his season will end before my challenge does)
- Corey Dillon (He’s Curtis Martin with a 2 year lag. Doesn’t bode well for this season)
- Any and every kicker, and most defenses.

*After writing this, I stumbled upon a 2+2 thread talking about a fantasy football forum (www.footballguys.com). It is obvious that I am nothing more than a big fish in a small pond….many of these guys know their stuff when it comes to fantasy football. If I find time, I am picking their brains apart. It amazes me how quickly I stopped feeling so damn good about my fantasy skillz.

Day 7 started off real slow. Two real short sessions yielded wins of $212 and $315.50. Nothing to really talk about there. Session 3 was long and boring for a long while. I dipped down ~$1000, clawed up a bit, slipped a bit, etc. Then I caught a break and caught a pure fish talking about his superiority to his unworthy opponents. I proposed we play a little heads-up poker. He said he would, but he insisted on playing 15/30. When I play heads-up, I prefer to play 10/20, because the blind structure on Party seriously punishes the SB limper (which is something most of my opponents enjoy doing in spades), especially since the SB is out of position. In the 2/3 blind structure found on the 15/30, it is much less of a mistake to fold the SB uncontested. Therefore, to punish the limper, I have to raise with a ton of hands from the BB. Furthermore, I have to limp-reraise often from the SB in order to occasionally limp in from the SB.

He brought ~$570 to the table. I brought $1k, which I assumed would be enough to make him leave if he happened to take it from me. I gave myself 90% chance of winning ~$500 (post-rake) from him and a 10% chance of dropping $1k (these are really simplified and don’t take into account factors like me reloading when I get down to under 12BBs, him leaving early, etc). By my 7am math, that means I had an EV of $350. To earn that in 10/20 6max terms, I would need to play 875 hands. So I get to add such a bonus to my hand count. Hooray!

After that, I played stoxtrader HU in a .02/.04 exhibition match on Pokerstars, with $50 to the winner. Initially, I wasn’t going to add the results to the $60k, but after realizing just how mentally draining it would be to play this beast, I decided to allow myself to freeroll the $50 toward my quest. If I lost, no harm to my final numbers. If you don’t like this policy, tough. I ended up winning, but not without being totally mentally drained afterward. PS – stoxtrader can flat out play. Period. Session 3, HU sessions included, ended at +$422. After taking a quick 9pm nap, I came back for a night session, played about 90 minutes, and won another $1253. Final Day 7 total of $2203.

Day 8 was hindered by a drop-in by the parents. Let me tell you, the whole parent thing is a whole lot easier to handle after winning upwards of $14,000 in one week. It makes my career a lot easier to swallow. Talking about my parents in the journal is something that deserves a full entry-worth or writing, so I’ll cut it off here. Suffice to say, I was not going to hit my 3000 hand goal, which is ok by me, since I overshot the mark on Day 7. 4 sessions, all but session 3 being quite abrupt; $293, $705, -$493.5, $766. Session 3 was the ugly side of Dougie LAGgro. I made the assumption that every pot which was not raised preflop simply belonged to me. All I had to do was go through the formality of betting the flop, turn, and river whenever I felt like it. After about 600 hands of pounding my head into a wall, I decided to go play .02/.04, and obviously never take my finger off the raise button. After cracking KK and AA with 95 and Q3, I felt a lot better. Session 4 was by far my best poker since the challenge began. I dropped a bit in the first 60 or so hands, won $1500 in 100 hands, and got sucked out on two more times before I decided to quit. Total for Day 8: $1271.

Hands:

Due to the fact that I spent most of my past two days discussing fantasy football while playing poker, I didn’t get a chance to write down many hands. Therefore, I’ll throw in a few hands from the HU matches. Yeah, I know there isn’t much place for discussion of HU hands...meh.

Hand 1 – vs. stoxtrader. Early in the match. I jumped out to an early lead and was dealt AJ in the SB/button. I raised, he either called or reraised and I smooth-called (normally a cap). To this point, stox had not got out of line, and I was mostly stealing pots with turn aggression. Flop came down Jxx rainbow. He bet, I called. Turn was something like the 8c. He bets, I call. River was a third low club. He bet, I raised, he reraised, I martyred myself and folded. He claims he had a ten-high flush.

Hand 2 – vs. stoxtrader. Related to hand 1. I told stox what I had in hand 1. The next time I raise him on the river, he tells me he can’t make a laydown like I can. I had the best hand in that case. He called me again on the next river raise. I beat him again. These were foremost in my mind on this hand. He raises from the SB, I 3bet from the BB with 9s9d, he calls. Flop comes Ah Kh 8d. I bet, he raises, I call. Turn comes [Ah Kh 8d] Ac. I check, he bets, I call. River brings the Jh. I decide it’s time for stox to make a laydown for once. I check, he bets, I raise. Good timing?

Hand 3 – vs. fish. Early in the match. So far, his obvious exploitable tendencies are his incoherent bluff strategies (I think he just picks random hands to run bluffs, and doesn’t deviate from his plan to pummel me with raises until I blink) and a clear inability to maximize value. He probably undervalues ace-high as well. I’m dealt JJ on the BB/button. He completes from the SB, I raise, he re-raises, and I cap. Flop comes 884. I he checks, I bet. Turn comes a 2, completing the rainbow. He checks, I bet, he raises, I reraise, he caps. River brings the 9c. He bets, I call. I seriously think raising this river would be better. The irrelevant results were that he turned over 88 for flopped quads.

Day 7 – Goal: 1500 10/20 6m hands (I’d play something else, but why change something that’s working?). Draft Kellan Winslow in all 3 fantasy drafts conducted today. Watch 2+2 poster Nick B. decimate the final table of UPC Tourney #1.
Results – 2349 hands (HU bonus hands factored). Got Winslow in 1 draft. Watched Nick B. (I cried my eyes out…I’m so proud of that kid).
+$2203

Day 8 – Goal: 3000 10/20 6m hands
Results: 1331 hands (I swear, I’ll play more when the heater is over)
+$1271.

Cumulative results
Goal: 150000 hands (secret modified hand-scoring system)
Days 1-8: 18082 hands (extrapolated: 135615 hands)
Goal: $60000
Days 1-8: $15459.17 ($7459.17 ahead of pace, extrapolated: $115943.80)

stoxtrader
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
gonores is a machine heads-up. It was a great learning experience - I've been trying to improve my blind play and I think all I really came up with is position is the nuts, and this kind of match doesnt really help me improve my blinds play.

I'd been bugging him for a bit to play HU as I cant commit to HULA but still want to play, so I start out thinking I can play HU and 1 other 15 table. about 25 hands in I close the 15 table (i generally 4-6 table the 15). I still ended with a headache.

anyways, I was obviously outmatched, but learned a lot. tx again Gonores.

Sheriff Fatman
09-07-2004, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to all you people across the pond and elsewhere who define football incorrectly as that agonizingly slow sport where you can’t use your hands

[/ QUOTE ]

The irony of this particular statement is probably the funniest thing I'll read this year.

How dare we expect the game of football to rely on skill with the feet!

Tosh
09-07-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
to all you people across the pond and elsewhere who define football incorrectly as that agonizingly slow sport where you can’t use your hands

[/ QUOTE ]

So not the sport where you play for about 3 seconds and then take a 20 minute break to talk about it?

chezlaw
09-07-2004, 11:39 AM
American football - like swimming whilst wearing a boat

bisonbison
09-07-2004, 12:48 PM
American football - like swimming whilst wearing a boat

ahahahahahahaha, that's a great line.

That having been said, soccer and football are good with me. Now hockey, there's a pointless waste of time.

BusterStacks
09-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Hockey is god's game! The pace of the NBA, the contact of the NFL, the strategy of soccer, how can you go wrong?!

Jimbobobb
09-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Soccer > all

Gonores > 10/20 party

Cerril
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah... don't you hate when you're watching a good fight and a hockey game breaks out!

Wahoo91
09-07-2004, 05:52 PM
I have always felt that cricket is inexplicable. I have had at least 5 friends over the years try to explain that game to me and I just can't seem to get it.

Of course each of those were 5 minute discussions over many drinks...

chezlaw
09-07-2004, 06:44 PM
ah cricket.

It can't be explained. The full glory that is cricket is hard earned, days on end through rain and cold, interminable draws and endless defeats and then one day you wake up with a spring in your step and joy in your heart because the test match starts today.

Sheriff Fatman
09-08-2004, 04:56 AM
No matter how well they knew the rules I doubt that cricket would ever appeal to the American psyche.

For some reason you guys have an irrational hatred of drawn/tied games, and most US sports resort to some form of overtime to avoid this.

Trying to convince you that taking 5 days to achieve a creditable draw is a worthwhile enterprise would, I think, be an argument too far!

Sheriff

chezlaw
09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
USA are competing in the one day tournement starting this week

Fri 10th New Zealand v USA is their first game

follow the excitement at:
www.cricinfo.org (http://www.cricinfo.org)

gonores
09-08-2004, 08:33 AM
In a quick, all-encompassing reply to all your soccer fans: I don't have too much against soccer. I played it for 6 years as a kid (before I converted to football), reffed for 2 years, and I coached youth soccer for 6 years and plan to do so again next spring (which entails a series of liscensing classes that allows me to have decently firm grasp on the game). It's an OK game, but it's terribly inseperable from "almosts." Soccer highlights on ESPN are sad. There may be one goal in the game, one big save (maybe) and a couple of close runs. I can't help and I won't apologize for the fact that I grew up in the highlight-driven society. Soccer will never work here because of this.

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason you guys have an irrational hatred of drawn/tied games, and most US sports resort to some form of overtime to avoid this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I suppose you like drawing with KJ to K2 on a QT9AJ board? Soccer is a game where a team can have a considerable edge and still end up knotted at goose-eggs. Now, while football (and other popular American sports) don't always have the best team win, it is a severe rarity where the best team on a given day, the team that plays the best, ends up on the bottom end of things. I don't know how you can use the word "irrational" here. I mean, sports are "contests," right? The goal of a contest is to determine a winner.

chezlaw
09-08-2004, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can use the word "irrational" here. I mean, sports are "contests," right? The goal of a contest is to determine a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Determining the winner may be the only goal of a contest with no intrinsic value, but just about the most famous and finest cricket match ever was a draw.

[ QUOTE ]
Tied Test Australia v West Indies Brisbane 1960

The drama and tension that emerged on the final afternoon of the match culminated in what is probably the greatest ever Test match.

Captained by the legendary Frank Worrell and Richie Benaud, the teams played a standard of cricket rarely seen before or after that Test. This unforgettable Test is now part of the history of cricket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like all great things, it cannot be explained only experienced.

chez

Michael Davis
09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Gonores,

I'm fairly certain that the winning percentage for teams that are clearly better is actually higher in soccer than in almost every other sport. I read this somewhere, but have no idea what the source was, so I can't cite it.

I am a terrible player, but I have reffed soccer for ten years and do so at an extremely high level, and I can vouch for this. The reason is that in soccer, when a team is clearly better, there is sometimes virtually no chance of them losing, because the other team will never get a chance to score.

-Michael

Sheriff Fatman
09-08-2004, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how you can use the word "irrational" here. I mean, sports are "contests," right? The goal of a contest is to determine a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

But a draw is a valid outcome of any contest. If two competitors can't be separated by reasonably means or within a reasonable timeframe then why force the issue?

To use, as you did, a poker analogy if you were all-in pre-flop holding AA and your opponent calls you with AA would you not feel aggrieved if he hits a 4-flush to beat you?

[ QUOTE ]
Soccer is a game where a team can have a considerable edge and still end up knotted at goose-eggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The above is exactly why its the greatest sport in the world. On the day its 11 vs 11 and, despite massive differences in ability, major upsets can and do occur, whether caused by super-human efforts on the part of the underdog, underperformance by the favourite, a sending-off, or a freak 50yard shot rebounding off the crossbar and into the net off the keeper's arse!

I can't think of any other sport where a 150/1 outsider such as Greece could win a major tournament (the recent European Championship for those who don't know/care) against all the odds and then, in their next competitive match, lose to Albania in their first qualifier for the 2006 World Cup.

Similarly, in how many sports could a team from Iraq be currently considered competitive? Somehow, again against the odds, they managed to reach the semi-finals of the Olympic football tournament.

The only downside to 'the beautiful game' is that England's national team are frequently a source of overwhelming disappointment. Tonight we face the 'might' of Poland in a match which has set national nerves on edge thanks to yet another inept display at the weekend.

Sheriff

PS: I think I can safely consider this to be my first hijacked thread. Hopefully day 8 and 9's installment will get everyone back to poker! Good luck with the quest.