PDA

View Full Version : Tracking results

10-24-2001, 04:10 PM
I read somewhere recently that Roy Cooke does not record his results on a session by session basis. He will mark down how many hours he played in a given session but not the result. At month's end, he looks at his "piggy bank" so to speak and knows how much he has won or lost for that month and can thereafter figure out his hourly rate etc.

Sounds like a good method to reinforce the notion that individual session results do not matter very much. It's how you do after a month, 3 months, a year whatever that counts.

Any one else do this and if so, any comments.

10-24-2001, 04:33 PM
That method works fine if you just want to get a feel for your average hourly win rate. A lot of times that is all a good player cares about (if they even care about that).

Some people also want to know things like what their standard deviation is so they can best determine bankroll size and visually see how much fluctuation they have.

Once you have a fairly consistent game, a lot of times all you might care about is your "win rate." which can be figured out using the method you mentioned.

Now of course depending on how you file your taxes (if you report gambling income) these types of records may or may not be good enough.

10-25-2001, 12:26 AM
Seems a lot harder to figure out your standard dev. Personally, I find that understanding my swings helps me more than not paying attention to how much I won or lost. But if you're able to ignore your losses if you factor them into the month, that could be good too.

10-30-2001, 03:22 AM
Dear Player,

This method is excellent if you do not spend any of your winning's before you start counting what's in th "bank".

Sitting Bull

10-30-2001, 11:45 AM
but, make that BUT, tracking resuts can be soooo depressing!!!