PDA

View Full Version : Party 2/4 Flopped top pair but he raised the turn ???

doggin
09-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

He had a set of 5's. Was my bet out on the turn correct
with 2 callers after the flop?

Thanks for reading guys. Please comment, I'm looking for my leaks!

Prod1gy
09-07-2004, 10:21 AM
I am not sure I would of played J8o even for one dollar there, but yea I would of bet the turn with top pair and after being raised, check called the river.

09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
This is the reason you have to fold these cheese hands preflop, even for half a bet. They only get you into trouble later. A turn raise almost always means your top pair is beat, although he could be semi bluffing if he picked up a straight or flush draw. I think the relatively small pot combined with the presence of BB makes this a pretty easy fold to the turn raise. It would be very helpful if you had some kind of reads on MP, namely whether he gets frisky on the turn with a draw, or other less than top pair hands.

Edit: you have to call the turn raise after picking up the double gutshot. This makes a river call prudent, as the pot is pretty big. I think you played it fine.

doggin
09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
I just read a section of SSH where it talked about not even
taking a gamble in a small pot. This is probably a good
example of it not being worth it. Ed also states you can
call more hands for twice the small blind versus two-thirds.
That was my thinking on calling with this hand.

TheHip41
09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Fold preflop

09-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I think the hands Ed was referring to were mostly of the suited trash variety, and maybe some mid-high unsuited connectors, like 89o. He certainly wasn't referring to trash like J8o, K4o, 38o, etc... The problem with those hands is you need a perfect flop, at least two pair and even then you end up losing a fair deal. Much more often you will flop TPNK, middle pair, some garbage gutshot, or other hand that will just cost you more money, like it did in this hand.

daveymck
09-07-2004, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just read a section of SSH where it talked about not even
taking a gamble in a small pot. This is probably a good
example of it not being worth it. Ed also states you can
call more hands for twice the small blind versus two-thirds.
That was my thinking on calling with this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you read this after posting the hand or are you answering your own question?

Fold preflop whether 1 5 or 10 limpers its junk.

After that the play is ok, in such a small pot with tpmk can maybe even lay it down after the raise on the turn its a classic slow played set play, you dont even have tptk and its a small pot.

Edit sorry didnt notice the straight draw.