PDA

View Full Version : computer advice?

rybones
09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
so, I need to get a new computer as mine is 4 or 5 years old. I have tried to multi-table twice and I assume the lack of ram has cause graphics issues both times (ie. my cards come up but I can't see them or the check, fold and bet buttons don't show up or do not work). Alas, what do I need in terms of:

processor?
ram?
video card?
screen size?
screen splitting software?
good place to get a good computer relative cheap?
anything else?

Thanks,

Ryan

ChuckPelowski
09-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Check the various internet poker sites for software/hardware requirments. They are usually posted on the page somewhere.

Nepa
09-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Brand new desktops are starting at 319 from dell.

prices starting at $319 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd)

mackthefork
09-07-2004, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Brand new desktops are starting at 319 from dell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats best the place in my opinion, anything you get will far and away exceed what is required.

Regards Mack

Chu
09-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Checkout fatwallet.com in the HD forums. There are always insane computer deals there.

If your going to be multi-tabling though -- you really need a monitor that can do 1600x1200. If you want an LCD -- the is only one choice -- the Dell 2100fp. It is an *INCREDIBLE* monitor, and with the help of FatWallet you can find it for $600 shipped. If you can settle for a CRT, then look for one that can do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz. Should run you no more then $300.

As for processor/memory, You want at least 512MB of ram for multi-tabling, but any modern processor will be more then enough.

Building your own is of course cheaper (I've been rolling my own for more then 10 years) but really isn't an option for you.

EDIT : Did some legwork for you:

Dell 4600 2.8GHz 800 FSB / 512MB RAM / 40GB $449 AR + Free Shipping (http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/359917/)
That's an ok deal -- I've seen much better on FW (if you posted this a couple of days ago for that price you could have gotten an XP 3000+ with a X800 Video card!) but it's the best one right now.

As for the monitor . . .

Dell 2001fp (1200x1600, DVI/VGA/SVideo/RCA Inputs, 21") -- $650 + tax (http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=360122&highlight _key=y&keyword1=2001fp)

rybones
09-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Chu,

thanks! I am also wondering what you or anyone thinks is the best security out there and or what types of settings I should be using? i.e. pccillin, nortons, or other virus and spy protection.

Also, I am currently using a 56k modem. do I need to or should I go to cable or dsl? if so what service do you recommend (I am in the chicago area if that makes a dif)?

ryan

rybones
09-07-2004, 02:58 PM
got some great advice from chu, but I am still wonderdering what type of internet security I need and if you all feel that multi-tabling is possible on a 56k modem?

Chu
09-07-2004, 11:20 PM
I honestly don't know if multi-tabling is possible on a 56K -- I've been on broadband for quite a while and never looked back. As for internet security, Virus Protection and Firewall these days are a requirement. Virus Protection is obvious -- I would strongly reccomend McAfee over Norton though because Norton is a huge resource hog in comparison.

Firewall is a bit trickier. If you are using a router (i.e. you want to share the connection /w more then one computer) a router acts as a firewall as long as no computer is in the DMZ. If you need a software firewall, from what I've heard the one that comes with WinXP SP2 is bare bones but does the job.

I know for a fact PartyPoker/PStars/AbsolutePoker/SportingBetPoker/ParadisePoker/PacificPoker (geez I just realized how many sites I play . . .) work behind a firewall without having to open ports.

*But if you really want to know, go to an internet cafe that has 1600x1200 screens (Screenz in Chicago has computers that do this), play 4 tables at a time, and then open up a bandwith monitoring tool and see how much you are using. I personally reccomend AnalogueX NetStat Live since it will let you switch between bits and bytes. Also -- keep in mind that 56K is really only about 50K due to federal regualtions, and the K here is Kbits.

Chu
09-07-2004, 11:26 PM
One more thing, I *STRONGLY* suggest an LCD over a CRT for online poker. The reason has to do with refresh rate. The 85Hz on a CRT means that every 1/85 seconds the entire screen is redrawn. Even if you can't see it (85Hz is the threshold for most people, but when going from 85Hz to 120Hz most people immediately notice a difference, even if they can't pinpoint what it is) it is incredibly fatiguing on the eyes. The refresh rate on LCD means how fast *ONLY THE PIXELS THAT CHANGED* are redrawn. Constant pixels stay constant and hense you don't have the fatigue associated with a CRT. After getting used to my laptop and 2001fp I just can't go back to my Trinitron (one of the best CRT's out there) for those marathon sessions.

Phill S
09-08-2004, 07:19 AM
just to reiterate, to four table on party, the screen res needs to be 1600 by 1200? what are we talking here, 19 inch monitor, 21 inch.

im buying a new comp myself in a month or so so this is very helpful to know for the future.

Phill

Sam T.
09-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I just picked up a new Dell, and it's pretty snazzy.

I can't really speak to the monitor issue, but as far as the rest of the hardware (RAM/Video Card/etc.), I think you will have a hard time buying a new computer that doesn't satisfy your needs. (Do I need a pentium 4 processor? No. But I didn't have much choice in the matter.)

Chu
09-08-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just to reiterate, to four table on party, the screen res needs to be 1600 by 1200? what are we talking here, 19 inch monitor, 21 inch.

im buying a new comp myself in a month or so so this is very helpful to know for the future.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple math, pretty much every poker client out there runs at 800x600. 800x600 divides into 1600x1200 4 times.

aces961
09-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Honestly I really don't think you need a 1600/1200 resolution to play 4 tables if you are doing it at a server that doesn't rotate the table when you sit down. I play 4 tables on party all the time at 1280/1024, but as long as I choose the seats so I am in seats 1 from each of the following groups 1-3,3-5,6-8,8-10, I really do not have any problems at all handling it. So if the extra 300-400 bucks it costs to get a 21 inch lcd over a 17-18 inch ones isn't worth it to you then don't bother with that.

Playing more than 1 table over dialup can be incredibly difficult lag wise. I've done 2 when I have to use dialup which is very rarely, but it was almost unbearable.