PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

Jason Strasser
09-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Do you ever log on line to play poker, and then realize that nothing really interests you in particular? The spark is gone for me. The MTTs don't really get the adrenaline going much, the SNGs are routine--no hands excite me. The 5/10 NL on stars is getting boring, and the same old people are just not fun to play with. I've never really been into limit, but that is not what this post is about. I've done very well online, but I'm not 21, so the Sats to big tournies aren't within my reach.

I feel myself logging on, after having won ~30k in the last 5 months, and having no idea what to play. Nothing seems to do it for me like it used to.

Time for a break? Time for limit? Time to suck it up and grind?

Boring post?
-Jason

uw_madtown
09-07-2004, 05:13 AM
Depends what your motivation for playing poker is... if it's hobby/entertainment (profitable entertainment, but still entertainment) then you should consider taking a break.

If it's about earning money, then you should get into grind mode. Anything, when approached from a "job" mentality and frequency, will get boring. If you're in poker to earn money as a part- or full-time poker player, then eventually you aren't going to have a whole lot left that gets you worked up like you did when you started. I'm sure there'd be exceptions (being in a major tournament). But if you're playing poker to earn money, you should get used to playing even if it's not exciting at the moment.

- UW

chezlaw
09-07-2004, 05:20 AM
How about a new game? O/8 works for me when I get a bit bored.

chez

Granite
09-07-2004, 07:32 AM
There seems to be plenty of tournaments outside the US where being under 21 isn't an issue. (plus you have the added advantages of being able to drink booze too). Europe, Australia (Crown event next year). Poker and travel, sounds like a perfect combination =)

thirddan
09-07-2004, 07:39 AM
a

gonores
09-07-2004, 08:05 AM
You're rich, biatch. Take a damn break. Get back to us when you are not burned out. Why push things now?

nykenny
09-07-2004, 09:12 AM
play 100-200

Oilcan
09-07-2004, 09:48 AM
You may be bored of it all (for the moment) and need a challenge.

a challenge that will get you revved up and smiling again.

Pretend that your broke, take 25 BB to a limit game of your choice and see how far you can take it in say 1 week or 1 month.

and/or take a week off.

-----------------------------

turnipmonster
09-07-2004, 09:59 AM
why not take a break from poker if you're not feeling inspired? it's so easy to get into a mentality of doing stuff you don't want to do just because you can make money doing it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

or learn to play a new game, like triple draw lowball or some form of hi-lo poker, both of which can be very profitable. PLO is a fun game too, and that's a very practical skill since there's usually big PLO side games at tourneys.

bottom line is, do stuff that you enjoy doing. if it's not poker at the moment, don't worry about it!
--turnipmonster

kiemo
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
same thing happens to me with Madden on the PS2. After a season or two it just becomes boring.

So I play poker.

Maybe you need to play Madden.

Tosh
09-07-2004, 10:53 AM
I have been going through the same for a while, I found taking up new games helped a lot. I have a limit background, so recently playing NL cash has been a nice change. Obviously for you it would be the other way around, but I think it would be good to work on limit for a while. Of course if you fancy it there are a lot higher games than the Stars 5/10 around online, upto 25/50 in several places.

FWIW I don't think younger players should worry too much about grinding it out, I have been giving up some profit to try to keep the game fresh and I don't particularly mind doing so at this point of my life. I think its as important to improve, and keep the game a fun thing to sit down to do, than maximise every penny of profit.

Monty Cantsin
09-07-2004, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think its as important to improve, and keep the game a fun thing to sit down to do, than maximise every penny of profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise words.

/mc

sabre170
09-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Poker is a good way to make money needed for skydiving.

Airpoaneman
09-07-2004, 09:13 PM
I have the same problem, but the thing with me is I havent been playing nearly as long as you guys have. I think I might want to take a week or two off and then try a higher limit single tableing. But I am really interested in learning Omaha or 7 card stud better. I had a bad week last week in tournaments so I played limit holdem and got it from 250 to 400BB in one day. I have been fooling around in the 10/1 and 5/1 tournament tables while I do my homework and I just start to think..what the hell am i doing. THIS IS SO DAM BORING!!!

I need to take a break.

Just think of how many years you have to play poker... taking a break and picking up a new hobby wouldnt hurt...espeicially in prime physical age.

Blarg
09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Do what you want. You're not a prisoner of poker.

Talk to some hippies and find out about the meaning of the cosmos, and return the favor by introducing them to the concept of "soap." Set a world's record for tying cherry stems with your tongue. Find a hobby you can't afford that compels you to play more poker and makes you anxious to get back to the tables. I suggest women.

Knock yourself out, there's no shortage of things to do.

Losing all
09-07-2004, 11:13 PM
30K in 5 months is very nice, I'd love to get there some day. OTOH there are many here that would call that a major slump.

My point? If you're as good as these players, or even have the potential to be that good, and money means something to you > Suck it up and grind it out! 15-30, SH, or some kind of JZee setup could all be solid options to shake things up, and up your earn.

bdk3clash
09-07-2004, 11:33 PM
I have the same problem...

No you don't.

BeerMoney
09-07-2004, 11:47 PM

Card

Stud

Jason Strasser
09-08-2004, 01:48 AM
Your idea of fun and exploration is a lot different than mine /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Jason

Jason Strasser
09-08-2004, 01:52 AM
I agree about grinding. I have a lot less time at school, but I still can't find the motivation to play when I don't have work/crap to do with friends.
-Jason

sthief09
09-08-2004, 02:41 AM
I think it's definitely time for a break. you're burnt out from playing, and you're going to lose interest. maybe pick up a sport or something.

there's always the option of picking up another game. it'll give you something to aim for, and it'll keep your poker mind sharp.

sthief09
09-08-2004, 02:43 AM
great post, Tosh. I guess not all 5000 of your posts are complete garbage /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lacky
09-08-2004, 05:15 AM
make yourself not play, read about it, nothing for a month. You'll find yourself missing it pretty quick and come back interested. Actually a week does it for me.

Steve

Tosh
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
I don't know if this sounds familiar or even makes any sense, but for the last few months I really wanted to play but couldn't be bothered. I have sort of got over that feeling now and I can sit down for an hour or 2 when I fancy a game. I think I mainly attriubte it to going away for a week and learning some new games, as well as starting up a few new things I would do instead of when I'd play.

Really it obviously depends on you though, but I don't think it'd do any harm to just stop completely for a few weeks. You might well find you really get an appetite back.

PS Out of interest will you be around for the Party million on the 18th?

Tosh
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
great post, Tosh. I guess not all 5000 of your posts are complete garbage /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even those of us who spout drivel in the pursuit of 5000, get lucky and stumble across something relevant every now and then. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

danstjohn
09-08-2004, 12:31 PM
If you've made 30k in 5 months and are under 21 go take some time off and live a little. Catch a flight to Europe and spend a few weeks there. Come back refreshed and make the money you spent in Europe in 10 days playing poker.

If I had money at that age the first thing I would do would be to travel. It is a huge stress reliever if you do it right.

1800GAMBLER
09-08-2004, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a good way to make money needed for skydiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

Poker is an obsession for so many people on these boards. Once you realise you wake up play 3 hours, do other things, everything works out. After that you also realise in those 3 hours you earned 3 * hourly win rate, not how ever much you won/lose in those 3 hours.

I do my first parachute jump in 3 weeks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sabre170
09-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Congratulations!

I once played an SNG at Stars where there were 4 skydivers at the table.

Blue skies,
Sabre170