PDA

View Full Version : I was pretty sure I was beat but I couldn't lay it down

jimotto
09-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Tonites pokerstars $10 rebuy, about 140 left. At this stage of the tourney, is this an easy laydown??? At best I'm a coinflip and more likely dominated. Or are these the type of pots you have to gamble on?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (8 handed)

Hero (t39592)
CO (t44029)
Button (t32594)
SB (t43340)
BB (t24586)
UTG (t26425)
UTG+1 (t23508)
MP1 (t18610)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t6000</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t12000</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to t43929</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t20325 (All-In), Hero calls t27492 (All-In).

Flop: (t110246) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t110246) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t110246) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t110246

Results: <font color="white"> UTG held AA, CO held JJ. I survived with 26000 chips, but pushed an orbit later with 10s to be called AK, which hit. </font>

AceKQJT
09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
You should fold that preflop...you are way behind anyone holding A-A or K-K. In addition, any two suited cards can make a flush on you, and any two cards could flop 3- or 4-of-a-kind to beat you. Not worth the risk.

--Casey

Bernas
09-07-2004, 11:06 AM
That is a really tough lay down pre-flop. If it were a live game I could justify this lay down a lot more, but on the internet when the majority of players will push with mediocre cards I have a really hard time laying down the 3rd best hand.

If you are playing just to finish in the bubble area of the money then fine but if you are playing to win you have to take a chance here with QQ.

Cheers,
Bernas

Stoneii
09-07-2004, 12:00 PM
re-read - there's a tinge of sarcasm I trully believe /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bernas
09-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Sorry, read that before my coffee. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Feeling embarrassed now.

jimotto
09-07-2004, 04:40 PM
OK, I'll clarify. The table was pretty tight. Nobody in the hand was desparate...UTG was 13X bb, CO and I were around 20X. Based on the play at the table and the stage of the tournament I think its reasonable to assume that each player has a legit hand. Maybe CO is trying to steal, but UTG certainly wasn't since he called allin. My best case scenario is both hold JJ, followed by two underpairs (seems unlikely 1010 or worse would stick around, but maybe). I am an underdog to an underpair and AK, but I'm getting pot odds (40% chance of winning in this situation, probably worth it with the size of the pot). Worst case is one holds KK/AA, which is what it felt like, but I'm always seeing monsters and it seems when I call they are there more often than not.

Maybe I should value QQ more highly than I do, but I definitely seem to get burned with in multiway pots. Just wasn't real happy to call two allins after indicating I was strong, and saw what I expected to see. Is it really a hand you shouldn't let go preflop, especially with a huge pot?

mullaney
09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
I think if your gut is telling you that at least one of these players has KK or AA, you can let it go. Someone came over the top of your reraise and it got called all-in by the original raiser, neither who were desparately short stacked. Unless you are playing against retarded children, you have to at least consider that you are beat.

PokerNeal
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Exact same situation yesterday on Party Super Monday and I am all in with Q-Q. Happened like this. I was in the mid position and raised a pot that was raised by a small stack that went all-in (turns out later he had A-K). Half my stack now was in the pot. The button (big stack) goes all in. My gut told me he had K-K or better. But my heart would not let those chips in the pot sink without a fight. So I went all-in, button turned over K-K, and I exited at 80th place with 300 plus bucks. Not worth the 4-5 hours I put in.