PDA

View Full Version : QKs - Overrated?

chill888
09-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Is KQs the most overrated hand in NL?

Its sure looks pretty. In Sklansky's charts (limit charts) it is ranked ABOVE AKo.

But how to play it early or middle tourney from early or middle position? If it gets raised - you just puke - it is very likely dominated.

I hate this hand. Any differences of opinion?

PS - I think AJo is also very pretty and very overrated. Small pairs? Goes without saying.

Regards,

stupidsucker
09-07-2004, 03:04 AM
I muck KQs almost every time I get it in the first 3 levels.

AJ sucks.

eastbay
09-07-2004, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is KQs the most overrated hand in NL?

Its sure looks pretty. In Sklansky's charts (limit charts) it is ranked ABOVE AKo.

But how to play it early or middle tourney from early or middle position? If it gets raised - you just puke - it is very likely dominated.

I hate this hand. Any differences of opinion?

PS - I think AJo is also very pretty and very overrated. Small pairs? Goes without saying.

Regards,

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on who's doing the rating and for what.

Sklansky-Karlson NL ranking for AKo is 5 and KQs 21. That seems about right to me, as far as such "ratings" go.

eastbay

Gramps
09-07-2004, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pairs are underrated IMO in the early rounds, especially in SNGs that give you deeper stacks (higher buy-ins on Party, Poker Stars). You usually miss and fold, but the times you hit, you have a good chance to double up as a huge postflop favorite. Definitely worth a small investment.

RiverTheNuts
09-07-2004, 04:20 AM
While we're all talking about low pockets... I usually limp in EP with anything 8 or below and raise with 9-A (unless a slowplay or limp/reraise is called for)

In MP Ill still limp with anything 22-88, unless Im opening action and then Ill open raise with 66+

In CO/late position Ill open raise any pocket... is this decent strategy?

PS... Anything below QQ in late position with a ton of limpers I dont really like raising, because I feel like you will still be drawing to 2 outs on most of the flops

Oh... and when you limp and face a small raise, what kind of pot odds do you need to to call the raise, because obviously youre hardly ever gonna get the 15:1 pot odds to chase a 2 outter on the flop... usually as long as most everyone else calls the small raise I do too and cross my fingers