PDA

View Full Version : Is this too aggressive with small pair?

KHALI
09-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Ok to set the stage I have just started playing poker this year and just moved up to the $25NL tables so I am inexperienced. I had shown down two big hands in the past half hour(KK,QQ)so I hadn't played any garbage and got caught yet.The villian had raised almost every single hand and showed down some suspect holdings like a baby ace, Q 9 suited etc... so I figured he was full of it. Regardless of my read here is my play correct or a bit crazy? I think I made a mistake by not reraising enough(make it $10 maybe or push I guess) and my other mistake is giving him more credit than he deserved for being able to fold a hand. I am posting here because I remember a discussion about folding equity. Is this an example of no folding equity? Anyway comment on the play and what you think.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed)

MP2 ($17.45)
MP3 ($12.65)
CO ($25.00)
Button ($24.05)
Hero ($21.15)
BB ($24.75)
UTG ($19.20)
UTG+1 ($20.15)
MP1 ($11.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $2</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $6.1</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to $11.65</font>, Hero calls $5.55.

Flop: ($24.05) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($24.05) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: ($24.05) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $24.05

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 4d 4c (two pair, sixes and fours).
MP1 has Jc Td (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Outcome: MP1 wins $24.05. </font>

Lori
09-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Your initial raise is terrible IMO, however, you are correct that having got that far, you might as well call the rest for the reasons you state.
If you are up against a fruitcake who is willing to jam pots with any old rubbish, just sit back, relax, get a nice drink and keep $25 on the table at all times.

Wait for one hand, double up, repeat.

Never give a sucker an even break is a well known phrase for a reason.

PS, wrong forum /images/graemlins/blush.gif you will get better responses in the NL forum.

Lori