PDA

View Full Version : On losing and learning - long

10-21-2001, 10:51 AM
I have only played low limit, but I am sure this applies to some higher limit games too. I sit at the table and watch an absolute rock stomp a few calling stations and a few other inexperienced players. "He's a good player, he always wins." I hear this a lot. Usually I hear it from players who have more addiction than ability. The last time I heard this I was reminded of a spider that eats by trapping. This player collected dust he moved so little. Of course those with a clue folded on him unless they also thought they had a lock. I watched this statue of a person sit for four hours and leave about $150 up. The game loosened up and he couldn't compete. I don't admire his play, but I do admire his control. I couldn't do it, I like to have fun while I play. I see more interaction with the television than I saw from him. To each his own. Last night I watched a junk card king drop $400.00 in a $4-8 game in a few hours. The game was so tight they needed dental floss to wipe with and he was in there ramming and jamming. It takes a stomach stronger than mine to play like that, not to mention deep pockets.

One of the things I realized early was that many good players are only good players at their game, and not any game they sit down in. The Junk Card King may tear up a loose table, and get creamed at a moderate table. The rocks all leave when the game gets loose. Put most players in a game opposite of the game they are successful in and they can't hold their own, let alone show a profit.

The player that terrifies me is the player who can go with mood swings at the table. Change his or her playing style within two or three hands and then switch yet again. I usually do not see to many of them, I am sure they have moved up in limits as soon as they became bored with low limit play, and tired of being sucked out on by 7,2o.

I want to be one of those players. It's painful though. I just went through my third losing streak in three years. I always learn just enough to be successful, start winning and think I know it all. I did some major thinking, and found some major flaws that to many are elementary. Like the true meaning of odds. 4.5:1 is not the same as 5:1, faces lie, hands usually do not. Low limit is it's own animal and rarely follows the 'book', some deviation is more style than luck.

I wait with anticipation for my next losing streak. I just hope when it happens I am not to too lazy to stop and see why I am losing until I am almost back to even. When I start playing on my money rather than opm, I find I am a much better learner. I learn really fast because I am so focused. I have learned more in three weeks than I have learned in the last year. Maybe after the next losing streak I will be wondering how in the world do I beat $10-20....?

If there is any point to this rambling, I would say do not be like myself and get complacent. I was affirmed when DS mentioned in a recent post that even he sometimes may not have complete information. What can I expect from myself when poker is only fun when fishing isn't good? As for my losing, if I don't lose once in a while, I am not improving. If I am not improving I am settling for good enough, and I am not happy with good enough. Don't be afraid to lose, just take the time to figure out why.

10-21-2001, 11:27 AM
sounds as though you are a thoughtfull player, and thus most apt to continue to learn and progress to higher limits, I hope so because as you go up you will probably find the # of crazy players go down

suggest though that you will never escape bad streaks...they happen to all players

10-21-2001, 03:38 PM
I liked your post, but I don't get this following line:

"..if I don't lose once in a while, I am not improving."

How does losing once in a while confirm that you're improving?

10-22-2001, 12:46 AM
If I don't have a big losing streak, I never bother to study and learn more about the game, why should I, I am making money. When I suffer enough losses to where it starts to hurt, I become a real serious student.

I had tendencies when I started playing to be way either too aggressive or way too tight. I only wanted to win. I found both styles are not conducive to making much money. I would see two games going on at the table, the game I played in and the game the other players played in. I had to learn how to change. Once I did learn how to change, I found out slowely that change was good. That was almost two years ago. Last spring I started noticing some players who played in loose games and had fun too (King of Junk Players). What did they do and why did they do it? I found most were just having fun, and others were making serious money - in the right games. More losses to figure out how they do it...that's where I am at now.

In general, I think losing under the right conditions can improve ones play. A good example is a rock. A rock never loses much, but rarely wins much. If I learned just how to be a rock, what more would I need to learn? But on the down side, if I could only play like a rock, I couldn't play in a wide variety of games due to the personality of the table at that time, as my playing style would not support it. So while learning to play different types of games and make a profit, I think it's reasonable to lose once in a while, otherwise how would I know what works and what will not work - and when to do it?

Once I am past what works and what doesn't and how it works, there will be more losses while I am trying to further optimize my win rate. After that there will be a new level and the cycle will begin again. I get kind of envious watching a $10-20 player walk off with $1000.00 of other players chips. I think I would enjoy doing that some day soon.

Mike

10-31-2001, 08:33 PM
I will never ever ever get bored of being sucked out on by 72o. I wish someone would set up an experiment to test me on this!

I'll go for 11,000 hours at 40-80, oh....

i have to go fantasize...