PDA

View Full Version : Flopped top 2 pair but know a straight is out

RiverTheNuts
09-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Alright, I had JQo, limp in late position... lots of action postflop, flop comes TJQ suits not important... small bet to me, I raise, it gets reraised before it gets back to original raiser, who goes all in...

I was getting down to about half my chips, and there are still about 8 people left. Even though you know a straight is out... I coulda caught running spades, running AK, or either of two jacks or queens to win/split over 3x my investment, and it seemed to me a good spot to gamble... 8th wins as much as 4th, and sticking around with 400 chips as the blinds get jacked up isnt fun

What do other people think of this decision to call?

Turns out he flips over K9, other guy turns over 89, just as I suspected... turn and river came rag rag, and Im out

rybones
09-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I don't think I like this call. Mainly because at party if there are still 8 people and one idiot called an all-in with an inside straight draw then it must be round 1 or two at worst. If my assumption is correct, then while 400 chips is low, you can still play solid tight poker and come back. why call it when you know you are beat. That said, this is just my opinion and I am not sure my assumption is correct.

Ryan

chill888
09-07-2004, 02:35 AM
One truism, it is more than twice as hard to beat 2 guys who are have made huge swings at a pot (e.g one is all in and another calls) than to beat only one.

If a guy makes big raise, alarms go off, if someone then goes over the top of that making two big betting opponents (and the board is scary like in your example), then:

Say two Hail Mary's, curse the dealer and FOLD.

GL