PDA

View Full Version : What to do you it gets HU(read, I suck at heads up)

Vannek
09-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I have T31000, villain has T55000 with blinds T800-1600, I find AK on the SB and complete hoping for a raise to reraise all in, he checks, flop cames 7 4 2 rainbow, he checks I bet T3500, he raises all in, I stupidly 'party poker style' call and see he flip over 42o, to add insult to the injury a king cames on the river. So, how do you people play once it gets HU?
I'm caming to the obvius conclusion that it doest matter too much to make a mistake with KQo in MP with 10 min of the tournament but that mistake costed me more money than any other I made in my MTT carrer, how do you play it?I'm very skeptical with 'go all in with top 70%' because the risk of caming in 2nd and lose a great deal of money makes me wonder if there are no other ways to play it.
Advice?

Toro
09-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Mix it up. It was ok to slow play the AK to trap, but once you missed, you have to get away from it. Patience is the key HU. You're going to be in a hand every hand so there's no rush.

mrjetguy
09-06-2004, 09:32 PM
It really depends on what the play stlye has been. If you have been raising a lot of hands PF, then I think you should raise once again. Keep pushing your opponent PF. That being said, I agree with Toro about letting it go on the flop.

I am confused because oyu say you were in the SB, but you have him acting first on the flop /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ponks
09-07-2004, 12:31 AM
On PP isnt the SB the same as the button when headsup?

Ponks

eastbay
09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm very skeptical with 'go all in with top 70%' because the risk of caming in 2nd and lose a great deal of money makes me wonder if there are no other ways to play it.
Advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

For god's sake I've created a monster.

That 70% number applies to a very specific situation, and is the answer to a specific question.

Given those specific situations and questions being asked, there is no opinion. Only facts.

I'm not going to rehash exactly where the number came from and what it means. People can look up my extensive simulations that arrived at that number on their own, if they're really interested.

But I'm starting to get annoyed at the frequency that this number gets thrown around completely out of context.

eastbay

SixgunSam
09-07-2004, 05:52 AM
My take, for what it's worth:

Heads-up play is more about sensing if your opponent is weak or strong rather than the cards you have. How you play is also dependant on what type of player you're up against. I think patience key. Look to trap aggressive players, take some chances -- if you make something pretty good (big pair) slowplay it every once and awhile. Let that aggressive player try to buy the pot. After you've used his aggression against him a few times, he will slow down and you can start picking up pots. If I don't have much of a hand and I'm not certain on what my opponent has, I try to keep the pots small. My goal is to lose small pots and win big pots. Never call for your entire stack with just an ace high unless you are absolutely positive you have the best hand and in your example, I think you could tell by his bet that he had some part of that flop.

If I'm playing a timid player, I run them over until they play back at me and if I don't have a hand I let it go. Timid players are much easier to deal with.

My heads-up play improved a lot because I worked at it. I play several sit and gos daily and occasionally play heads-up matches on Stars. There's no substitute for hands-on experience and trial and error.

Also, 2+2 has a heads-up forum here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=headsup) for plenty of advice.

Bernas
09-07-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't like the slow play of the AK here.
I raise preflop every single time I am in the SB. I don't care if I have AK or 7,2 Off suit. This way he can't put you on a hand and you are always forcing him to make tough decisions.

It's easy for you to fold if he comes back over top of you.

Cheers,
Bernas