PDA

View Full Version : right brain, left brain poker

10-20-2001, 09:40 PM
What makes poker such a wonderful game is that it is so egalitarian i.e. the artist can compete with the physical scientist. The left brain is involved with major thinking (the engine - "sequential logic" (Robert Ornstien) and the right brain is the seeing side "the simultaneous juxtapositioning of things" (Ornstien). Remember, a stupid cat can run through the forest faster than a brilliant blind man or women.

10-21-2001, 10:44 AM
that's not very deep

the person is blind

you could have said "remember, something that is blind cannot see, whereas something that can see can see..."

no need to dazzle us with running and forests - things to see, and things to use sight for...

10-21-2001, 03:07 PM
I am sure there are a million things I could have said. The point was, that no matter what your math capabilities are if you do not have the ability to read the game, to see where you are in the game, you are at a disadvantage. And someone with less math capabilities, but who can read people and see the game more clearly may actually have the advantage.

Researchers have discovered that people who have evenly balanced right brain and left brain capabilities are able to predict better than those with less balance. The irony (actually catch 22)here is that it takes a powerful left brain (math portion) to get a PHD in economics, but once you get it you cannot necessarily predict very well (their job) and if you do not have a very good left brain it is tough to get a PHD in economics.

I discovered years ago that there are see'ers and thinkers; and everything in-between. And my point was to explain to those who may not have confidence in their math abilities to understand that they may find they have other abilities that work just as well or even better to win at poker. Most of the math that is used in poker is just arithmetic anyway. But the ability to put a man on a hand (like Bobby Baldwin is reputedly able to do) takes another skill.

The right brain people often have confidence problems because most of societies measuring of people (Stanford Benoit IQ test for instance) are left brain measurements. But research has shown that people with average left brains but above average right brains do just as well at school and are actually better adjusted socially (Getsall and Jackson study).

So I wanted those right brain people to know they may find that they can be great poker players despite their math inadequacies (or perceived inadequacies). And I find this is especially true at the higher limits. Just my opinion.

10-22-2001, 06:48 PM
Charles,

It's an interesting topic and worth thinking about. I think most players agree that the cards (maths/odds) are more important in limit and full ring games and psychology is more useful shorthanded and in no limit. You only have to watch the final table of a big nl tourney to see how the players play each other far more than their cards.