PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity Issue

ZeeJustin
09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
I just moved into the dorms at UMD, and my ethernet connection for the most part is great. Unfortunately, my connection to most poker sites is horrendous. Even when I am downloading stuff w/ great speeds, and talking on AIM, I am often unable to connect to pokerstars / empire / party / paradise. The only site I have found so far that I can always connect to is Ultimate Bet.

For the majority of games / websites, etc. the connection is great (both pings and DL speeds) about 99% of the time. This includes Ultimate Bet.

For the sites listed above, I'd say the connetion is great about 25% of the time. 50% of the time, my pings are horrible, but I can still play, and about 25% of the time, I can't even open up any tables.

I talked to a friend who told me this was a problem w/ conjested ports or something. He also said that the campus would have to pay a lot of money to fix this problem, in other words, the problem will not get fixed.

What are my options other than dialing up? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

-thanks in advance
-Justin Bonomo

GrannyMae
09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
I just moved into the dorms at UMD

bumb for you cuz' i wanted to say that i am glad you are in school. regardless of poker results, it is extremely EV+ in the long term to get that degree. i have no idea what year you are in, but whether it is first or last, finish the job.

NH

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/g0/claps.gif

Alobar
09-06-2004, 07:48 PM
How long has the the problem been going on? Have you done a Tracert to the poker sites? That might tell you a little more.

I dunno how the dorms are where you are at, but it might still be possible to get DSL from a local provider, or even cable.

Nightwish
09-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Your dorms probably use a traffic shaper, and though they don't block online gambling sites, those sites probably fall into the "low priority" category. But it wouldn't hurt to talk to your local sysadmin (not some student but a full-time network engineer who actually works for the university) and see if this is indeed the case.

1800GAMBLER
09-06-2004, 09:05 PM
How college other than a bad poker connection?

1800GAMBLER
09-06-2004, 09:23 PM
How can you say the degree is more +EV knowning without even known what year ZJ is in? If you don't know that you def. don't know what course he is doing. He could be giving up $300/hour for the next 3 weeks with at least a $100/hour earn for the rest of his life so he can study a house wife course. Hell, ZJ may just be at college so he can play more poker there because he no longer has parents disagreeing with his playing.

In two weeks i start a math degree in one of the top 5 universities in england and i very much doubt from a finiance view this course is more EV than poker for me. My reasons for going are just for the social life, i wouldn't be surprised if i after 2 weeks my math degree becomes a photography degree.

JAque
09-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I let others elavorate..

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle

A good education is not so much one which prepares a man to succeed in the world, as one which enables him to sustain a failure.
--Bernard Iddings Bell Chaplain, University of Chicago

JAque

1800GAMBLER
09-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Yea because the only way to become educated is to go to college! Your cute little quotes refer to being educated not going to college. We were argueing college not education.

Tosh
09-06-2004, 10:14 PM
What Uni?

Tosh
09-06-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I let others elavorate..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm... Practice what you preach?

rjc199
09-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Maybe it has something to do with what ports the software uses. Maybe they are blocking certain ports.

I have noticed from last week when I was playing in the computer labs at Penn State that their connection is slower there than my cable at home. It is incredible. I think it has something to do with so many computers using a finite bandwidth. At home I basically have all the bandwidth because nobody in my town has cable internet.

GrannyMae
09-07-2004, 12:21 PM
How can you say the degree is more +EV knowning without even known what year ZJ is in?

education is more important than the lost earn. i don't give a crap if he is majoring in knitting, being in school is going to make him a better person. life does not revolve around poker and money only. the lessons learned in college are not just derived from the text book. people need the life's experience, and the interaction with something other than 2+2, MTT's and mastrubation.

1800GAMBLER
09-07-2004, 02:30 PM
The things you listed education, life experience and interaction with other people aren't just at college. Everyone of them you can get without going to college. Moreso, if you don't get them out of college or before college chances are you wont get them in college. If you spent the last 2 years of your life not educating yourself not being social and, as you say, playing MMTs and masturbating you are going to do the same in college.

The same number of opportunities are available out of college as in college.

Lastly, in this one example, ZJ, he would get more life experience, people interaction and education if he stayed out of college because he'd be travelling the world with WPT around south america and europe.

GrannyMae
09-07-2004, 02:38 PM
he'd be travelling the world with WPT around south america and europe.

maybe he will learn spanish in college, and in 3 years when the wpt is STILL there, he will enjoy it more.

i'm certainly not saying that life is incomplete without a college degree. i'm just giving my opinion that his completion of the degree should be done since he has the opportunity. many people don't ever get the chance, and global tournaments will still be here when he finishes.

i don't see how it can do anything but help in the scheme of life as a whole.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/_950/greedy.gif

fnord_too
09-07-2004, 02:54 PM
One other option you have is to get an apartment and get cable or dsl. This may be against policy though if you are a freshman.

If it is not against policy, you may want to do a cost/value analysis of getting an apartment, even if you still have to pay room and board your first year.

I don't think it is against policy up there, but I could be wrong. I know back in the late eighties when I started college, a friend of mine went to UMD and he HAD to move off campus first year because they didn't have enough space.

Other than that, you could find out who the network admin is and give him or her a ring. There is a potential downside there though, in that playing poker from your dorm may be against policy. You are using school facilities and services to participate in something with fuzzy legality. I personally wouldn't bring it up. You could see if games like everquest have the same problem and then complain about your EQ ping being unbearable. My gut reaction though is that you are screwed, and will need dial up or some place off campus to play.

1800GAMBLER
09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
I always wonder if the marketing guy who first said the phrase "hey guys, i've got the new marketing phrase 'you have the opportunity so use it; not everyone gets the chance to go to college'" is a millionaire now.

Crowsnest
09-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Interesting,

I have a satellite internet connection, as I live in a rural area with no other internet options. During the day the connection is OK for internet surfing but marginal for poker playing. In the evenings it is better all round. I play on 4 sites Stars, Paradise, party and recently UB. In the daytime, UB is the only site that will connect consistently.

Does anyone know why UB has a better connection for those of us with borderline connectivity? Do they use a different protocol or technology than all the others?

cheers

Crowsnest