PDA

View Full Version : river raise?

detruncate
09-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero ???

Bez
09-06-2004, 07:33 PM
I put him on a queen and therefore raise.

afk
09-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Most players at this limit aren't the type to bet their draws aggressively. I'd raise this river.

prayformojo
09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
I used to raise this river routinely (hey, alliteration!), but now I tend to call. Calling will probably draw BB in to call one more big bet, but he may fold to a raise if he has a busted straight draw or two pair. You'll therefore probably get as many bets out of calling as you would if you raised, BB folded, and UTG+1 called. However, you do not run the risk of being re-raised by UTG+1 if you are beaten.

I don't know if this is a correct play or not, but I'm trying to rethink a lot of my routine plays.

SoCalPat
09-06-2004, 08:19 PM
The replies thus far have completely ignored the presence of a third player.

If you raise, would the BB call two cold without having a flush? He's stuck around this long. Could both Qs be in play here? The odds of a flush out there are far greater, IMO.

Bottom line is this ... by raising, you'll likely won't collect anything from the BB but you'll get UTG+1 to call the raise. So that's one BB earned by raising ... but you'll get that by not raising from the BB as well (unless he completely missed).

If you're behind, raising is only going to make this more expensive. But when your hand is good, you'll profit the same (ie, one more bet collected) most of the time by calling or raising.

I would just call here.

Wahoo91
09-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Most players at this limit aren't the type to bet their draws aggressively. I'd raise this river.

I agree. A raise here is +EV. You may lose this hand to a flush but you will win this hand (at this level) much more often than you lose.